Absolutely confused and lost - really!

Absolutely confused and lost - really!

by srinath rs -
Number of replies: 13
OK! Honestly I'm absolutely confused about how this Lesson module works. Here are my questions -

How do I create pages before I set up branches?
How do I create multiple pages within a cluster?

I have a couple of more questions to ask but I'd like to go step by step. Right now, when I create a Lesson, I have to fill in a few settings and then I get a page asking what I want to do -

Import questions?
Import PPTs
Add a Branch table?
Add a question.

mixed

I'd like to create pages first, thank you! But how?! I don't see any option to create pages within a lesson! Even that pop-up page or link to activity in the settings doesn't get me anywhere... sad

Is there a step by step guide that shows how it is done?! The Moodle documentation gives an overview, all right, but I'm just not able to get my head around it when it comes to creating these!

Thanks a ton in advance!
Srinath

Average of ratings: -
In reply to srinath rs

Re: Absolutely confused and lost - really!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ok - well - to keep it simple - a "branch table" IS a page, so to speak -so if you just want to add some information on a page, add one of those. You can then link to other pages using the jump to boxes underneath. Not sure if this is any help at all but I did a really really basic Lesson screencast a while ago, using it as a decisiion making exercise -maybe if you follow it through the simpler steps then it might clarify some of the other settings: http://www.youtube.com/user/UsingMoodle#p/u/14/nq3das503-Q
In reply to Mary Cooch

by srinath rs -
Ah! A branch table IS a page!.... That gives a whole new perspective! Thanks smile

So, I can jump from one "branch table" to another "page" and within each I can have question or subpages?!

Alright... now what's the deal with Clusters? Each cluster is a single HTML page?
In reply to srinath rs

by Alice Keeler -
Well, since I spend a good chunk of just about everyday creating lessons I will do my best to answer your questions.

When you start a NEW LESSON I choose to ADD A QUESTION PAGE FIRST (usually)

If I choose a BRANCH TABLE, I call it "table of contents" and I just use it as the introduction page, not an instructional page.

What would you like to do first?
Import questions
Import PowerPoint
Add a Branch Table
Add a Question Page

Sample Lesson

If you click on ADD A PAGE you can insert a QUESTION.

If you click on the up/down arrows to the left of where it says add a page you can reorganize your pages and branches.

Think of a branch table as creating a section.

Now i teach math so I break my lessons up into
Moodle Lesson
Hippocampus Lesson (a website that gives math instruction)
LiveScribe Notes (if you don't have a livescribe pen you should check it out)

So I will create a branch table and call it table of contents.
I then add pages for my Moodle lesson
Then I will do an "END OF BRANCH" and have it link back to the "table of contents"
I then add a page and embed the Hippocampus lesson
I then have an "END OF BRANCH" that links back to the table of contents.
I then add a page that has the livescribe notes
I then have an END OF BRANCH that links back to the table of contents.
Recently I have been putting a new BRANCH TABLE after that and I call it "jumps"
On there I put jumps to different parts in the lessson so if a math student wants to jump to a certain part of the lesson without having to go through the whole thing they can.
So to clean it up I have on the table of contents a link to "Continue to Moodle Lesson" and a link to "jumps" and the 3rd link on the table of contents is to "END LESSON"
When you are adding a link to another page, one of the link options is to choose "END OF LESSON." Student need to click this end of lesson link when they are done so that the lesson will be graded.
On my jumps page is the links to the hippocampus and livescribe as well as to different parts of the moodle lesson. Keeps my Table of Contents more clean.

I do not import powerpoints or import questions, so I can't be much help there. If I want to use a powerpoint I upload it to google docs and embed it into my lesson, I prefer that.

When you open the lesson you should have 4 links along the "top"
Click on EDIT is when you should see the options to add a page.

GOOD LUCK

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Alice Keeler

by srinath rs -
wow! Thanks for the detail.... Just reaffirm when you say add a page, you select a branch table and NOT a cluster, right?
In reply to srinath rs

by Alice Keeler -
Personally, I never use clusters. I don't get them either.
In reply to Alice Keeler

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Actually - neither do Ismile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
I do not use clusters either. I only got my head around clusters when I decided to write a description about them, way back when. They forced me into thinking that there were navigation and choice pages. Students only see choice pages (branch and question).

Clusters make pages seen by students do special things. Only add clusters around groups of pages, AFTER you create a series of branch or question pages.

Appreciate the initial post and description. I will look at lesson module again. Amazing how simple things get left out or buried - we are talking 4 years now? I added Alice example to Lesson examples of use.

Chris
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stuart Mealor -
Clusters are awesome - but you should master the basics first.

Clusters would allow you to create, for example, a group of 10 questions, and select one questions randomly before moving on. This might work well in a class where you can get a different question for different students as they go through the Lesson.

You need to get comfortable with Branches, Questions, and also the jump controls before delving into Clusters smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Alice Keeler -
oooh, good to know, I'll try that for next year. Gotta get all my content up first!
In reply to Alice Keeler

by Tiffany Morgan -
This is really helpful!
Am I correct in my understanding that the end of lesson page cannot be modified, as described here:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Lesson_Pages#End_of_Lesson_Page

I would like to provide some guidance about where to go next or something to wrap up the lesson activity, rather than just say "Well Done!"

Thanks again--this was a big help!
In reply to Tiffany Morgan

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Tiffany,
Sometimes I like to put a branch table as my last physical page in the edit order. I also call it End of Lesson as a title to be confusing smile Maybe I should call it "Conclusion of Lesson".

Anyway, I can edit this page and not "the real one". In this Conclusion" page, I may also tell the students I will show them their score next or remind them about the end of lesson "link to the next activity". In my I usually put in a jump with a label called "End Lesson Now" or something. This jump goes the real end of lesson page.

If you set this page up first, then you may have to dig for it when you are looking for a jump to, but it will be there to use instead of the non-editable page. I strongly dislike changing jumps in more than 5 lesson pages.

Chris

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Chris Collman

by Tiffany Morgan -
Great! I figured tricking out a different page type would probably be the key, but I wasnt sure which type would be best. We aren't using scores, I'm lucky in that respect, but the way you are handling that seems like a great solution.

Thanks!
In reply to srinath rs

by Larry Hart -
Hi

Im new at this too... I found this video useful

Hope it helps

(you will need to goto youtube to get part 2a and 2b smile )