The web address does not appears

The web address does not appears

by ivan palmero -
Number of replies: 7
Why is there an error that says : "The web address does not appears to be valid -this Moodle installation doesn`t appear to be there." when I am sure that all is correct. It happnes during the installation process.

Than you ..friends!!!!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ivan palmero

Re: The web address does not appears

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is this on a windows server? If so, the fopen() function in install.php doesn't work on Windows unless you allow source access. This is one of the options on the virtual directory tab in the IIS setup. There is an FAQ about this, but I don't think it has been approved yet (Martin?). Let me know, if this makes sense I will post it as a bug!

You can actually switch off source access again once Moodle is installed as it is a bit of a security hole.
In reply to Howard Miller

by ivan palmero -

Thanks for your answer Howard Miller. I work on a Linux  server. I prove if the function fopen works correctly in my server...

In reply to ivan palmero

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Ok, can you do a phpinfo(); or check your php.ini settings. The interesting one is:

allow_url_fopen

This should be 'on'. If it is off then you will get this problem. I am assuming of course that there *really* is a proper Moodle installation on your system and you have entered the correct settings in the installation options smile
In reply to Howard Miller

by ivan palmero -

Thanks to help me H.M ... but I have activated allow_url_fopen in on... and the version of my moodle is 1,4,1, with php 4.x. and apache server 1.3.x

what is the problem?..

Thanks!!!!

In reply to ivan palmero

by Howard Miller -
Here is my FAQ entry:

If when performing a new install on a Windows/IIS based system you receive the following error:

"The web address does not appear to be valid - this Moodle installation doesn't appear to be there."

You need to specifically allow "source access" to the web server for this virtual directory. In Internet Services Manager right click on the name of your moodle virtual directory and select properties. On the Virtual Directory tab ensure that the "Script source access" check box is selected. Press Ok.