Rolling out to the whole school

by Richard Williamson -
Number of replies: 4

We have used Moodle in the ICT department of a large secondary school for almost a year now. In a few weeks I have to do a presentation to the other heads of department to explain why they should also use Moodle.

Has anyone prepared a presentation which outlines similar points? What angle have people found that works in this scenario?

Many thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Williamson

Re: Rolling out to the whole school

by Ken Langston -

One of the obstacles I've encountered is reluctance to learns something new (by the faculty as a body). Rather than insisting on fully online courses I demonstrated just a few features that could be useful in "blended" courses. There is initially a lot of skepticism by the faculty, especially those in the later stage of their career. An overview and demonstration of a few key features might be your hook.

Good Luck, Ken

In reply to Richard Williamson

Re: Rolling out to the whole school

by Renee Citlau -

I am the business department head at a large secondary school.  I started using Moodle a year ago and I'm gradually getting more and more converts. 

Some of the points I use are:

• Saves money
  • Saves time
  • Saves paper
  • Helps you to be Organized
  • Assignments are date and time stamped
  • The teacher and students can access assignments from home without taking papers home
  • More communication and better feedback to students
  • Better communication with parents
  • Students can show their parents and family members their work
  • Parents have better communication with you
  • Students can work at their own pace
  • Students can easily see what they missed when they're absent
  • Fosters collaboration
  • Teachers can easily share resources
In reply to Renee Citlau

by Ken Spell -
I'm working on a similar project, a needs assessment for instructors who currently use another LMS (blackboard) and thinking of mirgrating to Moodle.

I'm hoping to learn about difficulties such instructors might have in learning Moodle from existing online documentation.

Do you know of any difficulties they might experience from using online documentation? Could these difficulties be fixed by training/performance aids?

Would love to hear any comments you are able and willing to make.