thinking of moving to moodle, why should i move, what can moodle do for me and my business?

thinking of moving to moodle, why should i move, what can moodle do for me and my business?

by m ahmed -
Number of replies: 6

hi there,

my current line of work is within academia and my work entails me to look at a vast amount of diverse aspects of IT. I am intrigued by what i have read about moodle.

We currenly implement our own online student website whare students are able to take mock exams and take part in forums and cheack course material (as well as other features). I feel to implemenmt moodle for a test period and was hoipng someone could enlighten me with more information in regards to their organisation (experinece) who has implemented moodle.

what were the results? did moodle succeed expectations? how difficult was intial setup and catering to specific needs.

my team and i have spent a lot of time implementing our own application of moodle and now wonder why we did this, when there are so many course managment systems out there?!!!!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to m ahmed

Re: thinking of moving to moodle, why should i move, what can moodle do for me and my business?

by Thomas Haynes -

We have been using moodle and have been very happy with it. It was easy to set up, and it has been very easy to maintain. Setup can be done by those with little tech knowledge.

I am a full-time math teacher, and I maintain the moodle install and administer that machine for fun on the side. It has not taken much effort.

The moodle community is great. While there has to be some satisfaction in writing your own site with similar functionality, one of the best things about moodle is the fact that other people are working on similar problems. It turns out that you are not alone out there.

Moodle works, and it works well. Students and faculty like it. The tech staff likes the fact that it seems to do what users want, and it does not require much support.

In reply to Thomas Haynes

by Ken Spell -
What about the SCORM module? I'm really stuck there. Not sure whether I need to create one in another program so that I can upload it into Moodle, OR if one can be created in Moodle's SCORM module.
In reply to Ken Spell

Re: thinking of moving to moodle, why should i move, what can moodle do for me and my business?

by Timothy Takemoto -
You need to use another program to create the scorm module and then use it in Moodle. Due in part or in whole to the instability and variations in the SCORM definition, SCORM modules do not always seem to work, or need tweaking before they do work. This has been reported in other systems too.
What is the best software for creating SCORM content that plays well in Moodle I wonder?

Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Ken Spell -
Thank you, Tim.

As to your question, I have no idea myself. However, Joyce Smith responded with some noncomparitive information which includes two links (video description and a shareware application called reolad):

"In other words, we are ‘creating ‘ a file ,by using certain packaging standards , that can be ‘shared.’ across different (for want of a better word,  platforms)     
You can buy programs that will create SCORM compliant packages, or, there is a  great Open Source one at 
http://www.reload.ac.uk  That I downloaded ,and used to make some simple SCORM packages, and also a few quite not so simple ones ,from shared ‘ToolBox Content.’

A video is available at http://www.x4l.org/video/index.shtml that is great at explaining the concepts .
In reply to m ahmed

by Michael Penney -

Hi m, best reason is probably found here, there are alot of educators using Moodle and educator/programmers developing new things for it, so you get a well tested (if you use the official releasesmile and constantly growing and improving feature set.

Thus your developers can focus their talents on adding features to Moodle or refining features in Moodle rather than re-inventing features that already exist in Moodlesmile.