The different places that contain Quizport controls

The different places that contain Quizport controls

by Gerald Grow -
Number of replies: 1
Gordon, in your free time (long pause for laughter to die down), would you add some explanation on the differences in the places Quizports can be controlled?

Specifically, what are the differences in controlling Quizports (e.g., setting up post-conditions) in these places:

(1) In the grid that appears when you click on any Quizport, then click "Edit Quizzes."

(2) In the Update choices that appear when you turn on editing, then click the Update hand alongside any Quizport, or when you click the "Update This Quizport" button when it appears in the upper right.

(3) When you click on Quizports from the Activities list on the main page then choose "Edit All Units." What, exactly can you do and not do on the Edit All Units grid? What is its strength?

Which settings are automatically copied into the other two places? (When I set a precondition in the Edit Quizzes grid, I think it then shows on the Update Quizports page, but it cannot be edited there, right?)

Which settings are accessible only from one or two of these places?

Is there anything special we need to know about when to use which entry-point for editing, updating, or specifying a Quizport? Are some approaches easier or safer?

I have not used all the methods for controlling Quizports, so I'm looking for an orientation toward them, so I can understand better the extensive capabilities of the Quizport module.

There's no hurry on this. Maybe you can incorporate it into the next revision of the manual.

Thanks,

Gerald

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Grow

Re: The different places that contain Quizport controls

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Gerald,
as long as we are clear about the difference between a QuizPort and the quizzes it contains, I think the answers to your questions will become clear. Remember a QuizPort activity contains quizzes the same way that a Forum contain posts or a Glossary contain terms.

In your list, (1) displays the settings for quizzes in a QuizPort, (2) displays settings for an individual QuizPort, and (3) displays the settings for all the QuizPorts in a Moodle course.

> What, exactly can you do and not do on the Edit All Units grid?
> What is its strength?

You can set settings for many QuizPorts at once. For example, if you decide you want all your QuizPorts to open in a new window, you can do that from the "Edit all units" page with a couple of clicks. If you wanted to do the same thing with all your Resource activities, you would have to edit each Resource individually.

> Which settings are automatically copied into the other two places?

(2) shows the settings for one QuizPort where (3) shows the settings for all QuizPorts, one to a line. (1) and (3) share no settings whatsoever because they are displaying different things.

> Is there anything special we need to know
> about when to use which entry-point for editing,
> updating, or specifying a Quizport?
> Are some approaches easier or safer?

As long as you understand the difference between a QuizPort and the quizzes it contains, you should be OK. Which page you prefer to use is a matter of personal preference, I would think. For me they are all equal in terms of "ease-of-use", but maybe other people have a different view on that. I'm not sure what you mean by "safer".

> ... all the methods for controlling Quizports,
> so I'm looking for an orientation toward them,
> so I can understand better the extensive
> capabilities of the Quizport module.

To summarize (and following your original numbering system):

1. If you want to edit quizzes in a QuizPort, use the "Edit quizzes" page.
  2. If you want to edit the settings of a single QuizPort, use the "Update this QuizPort" page.
  3. If you want to edit several QuizPorts at once, use the "Edit all units" page.

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)