Changing Default Font Size of Answers and Responses

Changing Default Font Size of Answers and Responses

by Trevor Schindeler -
Number of replies: 11

How can I change the default font size when I enter answers and responses into a question in a lesson?

The default font size is very small relative to the size of all other font on the screen.  It looks odd that the words that are most important to focus on, the alternative answers to a question, appear so tiny.  While it is easy to change the font size of the question itself, because the HTML editor is available, it is very time consuming to manually change the font size of answers and responses.  I need to enter hundreds of questions.

I have gone into Site Administration / Appearance / HTLM Editor but that only changes how the HTLM Editor itself appears.  It does not change the size of the font when you actually entered questions and answers into a lesson.

I suspect that there must be a way to change the default font size of questions, answers, and responses in the moodle theme style sheet files but my attempts have failed.  I seem to have changed every font in moodle except for questions, answers, and responses in lessons.  I am using the Custom_Corners theme, but am willing to change if necessary.

Any suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Trevor Schindeler

Re: Changing Default Font Size of Answers and Responses

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Trevor,
When you enter Answers and Responses (i.e. feedback messages) in a Lesson question in Moodle, the HTML editor is not available when you create first the question. You have to enter at least the name of the Question, click on Add a question page, then Edit that question, check the Use editor: boxes for the questions and responses you wish to create, then click on the Redisplay page at the bottom, and then... you have the HTML editor with the font size that you selected in Administration ► Appearance ► HTML editor -> Font size.
Not very user-friendly sad, I'm afraid, but it does work.
Joseph
Attachment image00.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Trevor Schindeler -

Thank you for your quick reply. 

I have tested the suggested approach and, unfortunately, it does not appear to work.  The text to the questions and answers does appear in a larger font while being typed out, but after you save the question the text size still displays as being small.  In fact, changing the default font size at Site Administration / Appearance / HTML Editor makes the situation more difficult.  I can no longer manually change the font size to the default font size set at Site Administration / Appearance / HTML Editor.  (I can manually change the font to any other size but the default size which must be why that field is usually left blank.)

Even if this solution did work, it would be very time consuming.  The steps involved in formatting a simple True/False question are as follows:

1. Enter the Page Title, Question, Answers, and Responses.

2. Click on the "Add a Question Page" button.

3. Scroll to the bottom of the Lesson.

4. Click on the Update icon for the question.

5. Click in the "Use editor" box 4 times.

6. Click on the "Redisplay page" button.

7. Manually reformat the Question, two Answers, and two Responses.  Select each text and then click on the desired font size (5 x 2 = 10 steps.)

8. Click on the "Save page" button.

Somewhere, deep in the Moodle theme files, the default font size created by the HTML Editor in Lesson questions must be set.  The question is; where?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Trevor,

Seems like I misunderstood your original post. I focused on "How can I change the default font size when I enter answers and responses into a question in a lesson?" when in fact you wanted to change the size of answers and responses displayed to the student.

OK, here we go.

To display the text of multiple choice questions in larger font, try adding this CSS rule at the end of one of your current moodle theme:

#mod-lesson-view label,
#mod-lesson-lesson #middle-column p {
font-size:large;
}

As shown on my attached screenshot this works with multiple choice questions. Not tested with other question types and there may be unforseen effects, so use with care. Of course you can replace the "large" parameter with any other font-size parameter you like.

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Trevor Schindeler -
Thank you very much for your suggestion.  It worked beautifully.  The questions, answers, and responses display to students just the way I want them to.  This has saved me an enormous amount of rather tedious work.  Thank you!

by Edward Beckmann -
Hi Trevor

I agree with Joseph in that you make a change to the style sheet of your choice. I made a change just to the text area used for essay questions, and you alter the 200% to whatever suits you. Note this will only apply to the essay reply box and Joseph's response is more universal.

Take your pick

/* eob make lesson answer area larger */
textarea#answer {
font-size:200%;
}

Kind regards

Ed
In reply to Edward Beckmann

by Trevor Schindeler -
Thank you for your reply.  I tried Joseph's fix first and it worked perfectly so, not wanting to tempt fate, I have not tested your fix.  Also, I am not using essay questions.  Your taking the time to reply, however, is much appreciated.

by Tiffany Morgan -
I realize it's a time consuming endeavor to use the html editor as you described previously, but I wonder if you tried that process and if the text actually changed?

I followed the steps and adjusted the answers and responses on question pages and branch table pages using the html editor and when I previewed there was no visible change to the text in appearance. I was wondering there is still another switch I have to flip or box I have to check somewhere so these changes take affect.

All other html editors work as expected in the course and site.

I understand how to change to the css, but we have such a short lesson that it would be easier just to have this html editor work for us.

thanks!
In reply to Tiffany Morgan

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Tiffany,
Not sure whom you are answering to... Please re-state specifically which steps you followed, why and what result you obtained. And a screenshot showing what you got and what you wanted to get would help too.
Joseph

by Tiffany Morgan -
sorry for the confusion. I was referencing Trevors steps here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=146862#p641904

I attached screen shots, but this is a branch table where I have checked the "Use Editor" box for the branch table descriptions (description 1 shown) and the preview of the branch table showing no change in the appearance.
Attachment html-edit.jpg
In reply to Tiffany Morgan

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Tiffany,

It is not possible to change the appearance of text in the Branch "buttons", simply because they are button labels, not "text".

Actually, the "use editor" feature should not be available when editing a Branch table. It's just one of the many bugs features which ought to be fixed in a new version of the Lesson module.

Joseph

by Tiffany Morgan -
Good to know! Now I wont drive myself crazy wondering what I'm doing wrong!
Is the same type of use editor "feature" present in the lesson question responses?

Thanks!