After database installation successful, 404 object not found

After database installation successful, 404 object not found

by Jon Price -
Number of replies: 5
I'm attempting to install Moodle on an XP Professional machine using IIS and MSSQL. I've got successfully through the initial installation pages to the admin/database setup, which completed without issue.

However, after receiving the 'database setup complete' message and clicking to proceed, I'm now getting 'HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found'. I've searched, quizzed, looked for logs/attempted to get logs out and can't seem to find any indication as to why this might be occurring - the files are all present, I've checked permissions etc and it all seems fine.

I can't work out why it doesn't want to seem to work... everything was fine up to this point, and even with all of the PHP error logging/announcement switched on etc, I can't get any other message than Object Not Found. Does anyone have any idea why this might be occurring, and how to fix it?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Jon Price
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Price

Re: After database installation successful, 404 object not found

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Is everything pointing to the right location for the database? the Moodle config.php file should be reading something like:

$CFG->dbtype = 'mssql';
$CFG->dbhost = 'localhost';
$CFG->dbname = 'moodle'; //whatever name you gave it

Outside of that, I cannot think of anything else that might be an issue. I assume that MSSQL has correctly created the database, and I do not know why it would report it so but then not do it. Better check though...

In reply to Jon Price

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Jon

We really need a little more info before we can help;

What file is giving the 404 for start; what is in the IIS logs too?

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Jon Price -
Hi Colin/Jon

There was absolutely nothing in any of the logs, I even switched on the PHP error logging and it was not throwing an error! Everything was set up correctly, I even put a few test PHP pages including database queries in to check everything, and those were all fine.

The error was thrown while the installation was trying to set up the admin stuff (admin/index.php), although I couldn't identify the source of the error, I was able to sort out a few workarounds.

I've managed to resolve all of the issues to allow an operational installation, and I'll cover them in more detail once I've written up some documentation of what I've done.

Thanks

Jon
In reply to Jon Price

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
Are you connecting to MSSQL via FreeTDS? If so, check your FreeTDS configuration (freetds.conf).
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Jon Price -
Hi Luis

Absolutely nothing wrong with the FreeTDS configuration! Database connectivity was working quite happily, the problem was somewhere else completely!

I never did get to the bottom of why I was getting a 404 redirect, but I suspect it was something to do with the installation routine trying to access a file that hadn't been created yet.

This one is resolved, and I'm currently compiling documentation of how it was done...

Thanks

Jon