User profile fields - inconsistent security

User profile fields - inconsistent security

by David Kennedy -
Number of replies: 3
There seem to be some inconsistencies in the security on user profile fields.

If you create a new field, you can control who sees it with the "Who is this visible to?" property. It seems administrators have security around this restriction. However, it doesn't seem possible to create another role who can also get around this restriction. I thought the "View Hidden User Fields" would do so, but apparently that only works for those settings on the "User Policies" page.

What I want is to have fields which are visible to the user (but not other students), but some elevated roles other than administrator that can see these fields.

Since we don't allow students to see other students profiles, I guess I can do this by changing the "Who is this visible to" to Everyone, and be OK.

Is there something else I'm missing here?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Kennedy

Re: User profile fields - inconsistent security

by David Kennedy -
Speaking of inconsistent...how about the replies around here (or lack thereof)?
In reply to David Kennedy

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Maybe you would have more luck asking this over in the roles and capabilities forum?
In reply to Jon Witts

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
David, regarding associating the view hidden user fields capability with new user profile fields, you may wish to create an issue in the Moodle Tracker for it. (You'll need a tracker account in order to create an issue.)

Just moving this thread to the roles and capabilities forum as suggested...