Emoticon problems in 1.96 QUIZZES HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emoticon problems in 1.96 QUIZZES HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Louis Fleming -
Number of replies: 25
Upgraded to 1.96.

Quizzes are computer science questions

every time I try to use [] for arrays - I get a black Diamond with a letter J in it for both the [ as well as the ]

Do not want to go through and edit 250 questions one at a time to fix this.

I have looked in weblib.php - as well as Admin - appearance - HTML

this emoticon is not there - so how do I get the more than 1200 of these emoticons out of my quiz file?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Louis Fleming

Re: Emoticon problems in 1.96 QUIZZES HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Louis Fleming -
Was importing in Blackboard format when this happened.

When I exported the questions from Examview as Examview XML - the emoticons disappear and the code shows what it should - so apparently some kind of issue in the Blackboard import possibly creating the weird emoticons.

Blackboard format is much preferred as it keeps code spacing and indents - where Examview XML format loses all indents and spacing within blocks of code.

Workarounds anyone??

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You can edit the list of emoticons used on your site at Administration > Appearance > HTML editor.

However, [] does not seem to be an emoticon. It may be a filter. Have a look on Administration > Modules > Filters > Manage filters.

Anyway, the main point here is that the data in the database will be fine. The processing like filters and emoticons is done on output, so if you can find the right configuration change to make, everything will just start working.

(Note, while you are experimenting, you need to set the Text cache lifetime setting to 'No'.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Louis Fleming -
Thanks Tim

Looking in filters - but not sure what I am looking for - every filter is disabled during normal operation.

Changed default font for site - and no changes - so it is not a Trebuchet thing.

icons showing up for every [ or ] show no change -
regardless of courier arial or times new roman font

Really need this insanity gone ......as this is affecting practice materials for contest which is little over 3 weeks away.

Louis

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What is the URL of the icon being linked to?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Louis,
Could you please export and post here just one sample question that is displaying this emoticon problem, so we can examine it?
Joseph
PS.- No need to shout for "HELP!!!!!!!"; most posts in this forum are call for help anyway.wink
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Louis Fleming -
Moodle 1.96
Default Font - Courier (did same thing when font was Trebuchet)
All filters are set to off

Question should look like this

What is the output of the following code?

int scores[] = new int[19];
int digit = 69;
for (int counter = 0; counter<7; counter++)
{
scores[counter] = (digit%(counter+1));
digit++;
}
System.out.println(scores[6] + scores[1]-scores[5]);

Getting this instead

What is the output of the following code?

int scores��= new int�19�;
int digit = 69;
for (int counter = 0; counter<7; counter++)
{
scores�counter� = (digit%(counter+1));
digit++;
}
System.out.println(scores�6� + scores�1�-scores�5�);

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thank you Louis, but this is not what I meant. What type of question is it (multichoice or shortanswer or...)?
What is the question text?
If it's a MCQ question, which is Choice1 ? Choice2, etc.
The best way for you to post one sample question exactly as it is on your moodle course is as follows:
  1. in your moodle course question bank, create a new category called e.g. "moodle_forum"
  2. duplicate a "problem question" (edit an existing question and "save As New question) named e.g. "problem question 01"
  3. Move that "problem question 01" to category "moodle_forum"
  4. Now in the Questions bank go to the Export tab (windows "Export questions to file"
  5. Select category "moodle_forum"
  6. File format select Moodle XML format
  7. Uncheck "Write category to file" and "Write context to file"
  8. File name : name it "moodle_forum"
  9. Click the Export to file button
  10. next screen: click the Click to download the exported category file link and save the moodle_forum.xml file somewhere on your local computer
  11. attach that moodle_forum.xml file to your next post on this forum
Joseph
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Louis Fleming -
That was the question text I posted - Question is completion - short answer

Previous message was straight screen copies from the question editor in Moodle. I had no idea about attachments here. I do have the XML file and the blackboard file of the question sets.

Will try to go through the steps you list Friday as I already stripped the questions from my Moodle and reverted to the XML bank that loses all the indents. I am having to get my classroom ready today for a sub as I have to chair a programming competition tomorrow and I must lay out work for 6 different subjects that the sub can give out tomorrow.

Louis

by Tim Hunt -
That looks like a character encoding issue.

The ? think is what is displayed when the content to be displayed is an invalid sequence of bytes. It is not an icon.

The odd thing is that [ is hardly a special character. Very odd that that is what is getting messed up.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Louis Fleming -
It only messes up when brought in with indented code as a Blackboard import

Does not mess up when brought in as an Examview XML import but XML loses all the indents on the code

Louis

by Susan Mangan -
I've seen this. We had many many problems with character encoding a while back. Are there any settings for character encoding on examview re: setting the character encoding to UTF-8 on export?
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Louis Fleming -
No - Examview settings are about like Words - export as and a pull down list of choices - nothing as far as export parameters.

Louis

by Susan Mangan -
Try converting the .dat file to UTF-8 by opening it up in notepad and 'saving as'. When you save as you should get a drop down menu for encoding option. Then try to import the .dat again to Moodle.

Now I don't know if this is even the problem for sure but I do know that the icon you are seeing is linked to some type of encoding problem so might be worth a try?
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Jeff Forssell -
Even though Notepad is definitely better than WORD for not messing text up, I have read that even when one chooses save as utf-8 Notepad can wind up giving you non-compliant text. I usually use PSPad.
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Louis Fleming -
I grabbed PsPad and opened the dat file as suggested.

Two problems
1. No matter how you save - no options appear in PSPAD for utf 8
2. When viewing the dat file in PSPAD - this is the first line

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

Doesn't that pretty much negate the UTF issues?

Still unable to make it go past the [] in Blackboard formats... tried with a space between the [ and the ] made no difference.

Examview XML imports the same questions just fine - but loses every bit of formatting and indenting applied to the question.

Not sure what to try now.

Louis

by Tim Hunt -
Just because the file claims to be UTF-8 on the first line does not mean that it actually is.

Opening the the XML file you attached above, the data in there is already messed up (try opening it in Firefox).

So, since the data in the file is messed up, of course you get something messed up when you import it into Moodle.

Now you just need to work out what is going wrong when you create that file.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Louis Fleming -
That file is the question inside Moodle.

Problem is not there before importing - as the question is fine in Examview - and it is fine in the dat file before uploading.

The weird symbols show up only after being imported into Moodle.

by Louis Fleming -
RE-opened the dat file with PSPAD

Discovered the ] was showing up as &#093; and the [ was showing as &#091;

did a complete find and replace to put both the [ and ] back in place

formatted it to UTF-8 in PSPAD

saved the dat file

reuploaded it to Moodle.

Results.....no change - exactly the same

Reopened dat file again - the [ ] are still where they belong

by Tim Hunt -
Please could you attach the .dat file here, so we can take a look. It is sounding more like a bug now.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Louis Fleming -
Recreated the dat file as the original 250 question file was too big for attachment here.

This is the new dat file after re-setting the [ ] and using PSPAD to make sure it is UTF-8.

by Susan Mangan -
That .dat file uploaded fine on our system. I imported using Blackboard format. Tested on Moodle 1.9.6 and 1.9.8

Did you try importing the new, smaller one just to make sure the problem still existed in that particular .dat file?
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Louis Fleming -
It uploaded fine on mine - now trying to remember what I did before uploading the file.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Susan Mangan -
&#091 and &#093 are ASCII for [ ]

I find that very odd as well as we frequently upload .dat files for our online quizzes and haven't had a problem to date.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, considering you had the issue before you opened the .dat in PSPAD, but there is an exiting issue with that editor and UTF-8 http://forum.pspad.com/read.php?4,52962

If the .dat file is text and not binary it might be affected by any filters you have on - do you have filteruploadedfiles set? (Admin block under Modules, Filters). Again, might be a long shot but worth a check? We experienced encoding issues with various filters in the past.