Export Problems

Export Problems

by James Desterhouse -
Number of replies: 8

Hello there,

I'm currently running this Moodle version Moodle 1.9.7+ (Build: 20091216) 

I'm having issues with exporting grades from individual classes into Excel.  The preview screen seems to look fine in how it's sorted and laid out.  However, when I download the results into a excel file and attempt to open it, the results look nothing like the the preview--infact, it seems to spew out random, funky characters.

I also seem to get the same result when I attemt to export to .txt using a seperation character as 'tab' or 'comma'. 

Most individuals will be utilizing Office XP or 2003.

Thanks for your help in advance.

In reply to James Desterhouse

Re: Export Problems

by Eduardo Domínguez Vázquez -
Hi James,

The export format used by moodle is a **bit** old fashioned one... it was made for "Microsoft Excel 5" so I can understand you having problems with this format (I had some time before, but a saving-as procedure solved my problems).

If you have this issue in csv text... this sounds like a charset problem. Maybe it's in UTF8 and you said to excel it's ISO format... you can choose the charset at the first step in the import process.

I hope this helps...
In reply to Eduardo Domínguez Vázquez

by James Desterhouse -

Thanks allot for the help in this.  I see what you mean in the Import process.  Though, my primary for now is the export process.  Would there be a patch or module out there that addresses this? 

by Elena Ivanova -
Any chance your gradebook entries have some special characters? E.g. code from word that came with the feedback? (I have not seem such issue before)
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by James Desterhouse -
I think that's a good possibility.  Allot of the instructors are using feedback and comments in their gradebook.  What I'm disappointed about is that Moodle doesn't give an option of having a ';' as a seperator instead of just having a comma or tab.

I don't know of any patch about this issue but if you attach a sample file of the export we'd understand the problem and may be we'll give you a workarround.

by James Desterhouse -
Ok, no problem.  Here's a gradebook export w/ comments.  I can also export a .txt one as well if desired.

mmmmmm... this looks like a misconfiguration of the "latinexcelexport" variable or rubbish in the comments (copy/paste from word or any other program)

- How many students are in the export?
- Does this only happend when including comments?
- What about the ODS export (openoffice)?

If the problem are the comments you must query the database for the rubbish in the comments (I can't help you on this, sorry) or:
- Backup/restore the course in a new one
- Enter to the new course
- Delete comments until the export works fine.
- If this works, instruct your teachers to not copy/paste the comments (ok, notepad is fine wink )

by James Desterhouse -
Thanks allot for your help in this.  I ultimately had the export exclude his comments/feedback from the Export and saved it to a Plain Text File and saved it as a .csv document.  It worked gread smile   I'll have to see if I can find out if anyone else is having these issues or if this was a special case.  But for now on, I'll work on the latter suggestion you gave and tell people not to copy/paste from other wordprocessing programs.