Forced Enrollment, Completion Deadlines, and Annual Renewal

Forced Enrollment, Completion Deadlines, and Annual Renewal

by Grant Davis -
Number of replies: 3
I am fairly new to moodle and I am looking for a way to have certain courses that are required by the students, auto-enroll any student who logs into Moodle for the first time.

On top of that, I would like for there to be a way that the student complete the course and pass the final exam by a certain deadline (determined by their enrollment date (say 30 days after enrolling)) or else they are locked out of the course and the teacher is notified that they failed to complete the course.

I would also like to make the course be required annually, so once they have completed the course they are re-enrolled one year later.

Is any of this possible with Moodle? Am I way out of bounds with these requests? If they are possible, or if there is an alternate methos I could use, could someone help walk me through what I can do?

Thank you very much for your help!
-Grant
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Grant Davis

Re: Forced Enrollment, Completion Deadlines, and Annual Renewal

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Grant,
You are not out of bounds this is not the right forum smile

Basically the key term you are looking for is "Conditional dependencies". In pre 2.0 Moodles you should look for "Activity Locking', a contribute code with several flavors.

Users are "authenticated" on the Moodle site and students are "enrolled" in a course. Some course can be self enrolled (open). If you do a manual authentication via a flat file, you can enroll students in one or more courses. Or you can enroll them in 1 course and have your basic courses as Metacourses.

Probably no one way will be exactly what you want but you can come close.

Hope this helps. Chris
In reply to Grant Davis

by Michael Penney -
Hi Greg, our ELIS suite provides this kind of program management for Moodle courses.

For example you can auto-enroll students based on profile information, string a series of courses together with pre-requisites, auto-enroll users in the second course in a series when they complete the first, provide for recurring courses with notifications, etc.

In reply to Grant Davis

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Grant and Michael,
Just to be clear, the question was if something was possible in Moodle and help in walking it through.

MIchael is one of our world wide Moodle partners, who has also made some outstanding contributions to the Moodle core code. For the sake of example, his link shows some of the robust potential of how an open source Moodle core code can be customized by external 3rd party software solutions. Moodle partners specialize in these kinds of external products.

I know that the moodle.org course Moodle for Business Uses has forums that discuss many external authentications and filters with external enrollment methods that integrate with Moodle.

I am sure somebody has or could write code that would allow participation in one specific Lesson activity in a specific course, based upon an external database. However, that was not the question either smile

Best to all, Chris