XML & Chameleon UI to update menus in Aardvardk Pro 1.2?

XML & Chameleon UI to update menus in Aardvardk Pro 1.2?

by Bruce Schmoetzer -
Number of replies: 2
1) Thanks! to Shaun Daubney for Aardvark Pro 1.2

2) I thought it made more sense to break this in to a separate discussion as it may get pretty complicated going forward. Let me know if this was the right decision.

3) Aardvark Pro 1.2 requires modifying the "aardvark_menu.php" file in order to change the various menus, subtitles and items for use on any given site. Unfortunately, that requires the person making the modifications to be somewhat fluent in PHP and to have ftp or (preferably) sftp access to the PHP files. Wouldn't is be nice if a moodle authenticated Administrator could make these changes via the familiar moodle interface rather than via sftp & a text editor? It would seem to be simpler and faster than training someone on PHP.

What I am proposing is: adding an XML file AND the Chameleon UI engine to Aardvark (or any other themes which might benefit) to accomplish this solution. I realize that it will require modifications to Aardvark 1.2 and to the Chameleon UI engine. However, Chameleon already has a Free Text editor which is used to modify various CSS text files - why not an XML file as well?

If anyone knows that this will be solved in 2.0, please advise so we don't go off on a wild goose chase. Otherwise, it would certainly help my sites as they have several different admins who know nothing about PHP.

Thoughts? Am I totally crazy?!

THX!

-Bruce

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruce Schmoetzer

Re: XML & Chameleon UI to update menus in Aardvardk Pro 1.2?

by simon serverin -
I am not in position neither to judge neither to help but it would be really great for people like me (=clueless about PHP) to have this possibility. The theme is really great but it's very difficult to change the menu bar without knowledge. Looking forward for other users ideas !
In reply to Bruce Schmoetzer

Re: XML & Chameleon UI to update menus in Aardvardk Pro 1.2?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Brilliant idea!

Mind you I have no understanding of either XML or Chameleon UI...but it sounds like you have hit on a very feasible modification to the Aardvark Pro 1.2 Theme.

I'll be interested to see how this idea develops.

Mary