A language version for use in schools

A language version for use in schools

by Neil Pollock -
Number of replies: 4
I'm new to Moodle and I'm hoping to role it out to our school over the next few months.  The school has students from kindergarten to Year 12.  I'm wondering if it makes sense to write and use a translation from the standard english version which seems to be more university orientated, to a school version using language that the students are used to.  e.g instead of "Courses" you could use "Year Level" or instead of "Categories" you could use "Subjects" .  Has anyone done this already? 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Neil Pollock

Re: A language version for use in schools

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I don't think so. On the other hand you can edit the words in your own Moodle locally by going to site administration>language>language editing >edit words and phrases and there you will fiind all the language files where you can change specific words. Most of the useful and commonly used ones are in the file moodle.php This might be a easy way for you to start off with, although you need to be aware that if you change it in there it changes for the whole of your Moodle, so the word has to be appropriate to all years and subjects.
In reply to Neil Pollock

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
There is nothing shared on Moodle.org like that, but I can imagine you feel the need to do some modifications for younger children.
Edit your language pack only with the Moodle language editor, make sure you make
local changes, not language pack changes (local changes is the default behaviour of the editor). That way your changes survive Moodle upgrades since they are stored in moodledata/lang/en_utf8_local
I don't think you'll have to do a massive amount of changes, so it is not worth the effort to create and maintain a new language pack.
In reply to Neil Pollock

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
We've discussed this for the German language version. Today we've two German language verions one as a standard de_utf8 and a personalized Version using the German 'du' (informal you) instead of 'sie' (formal you).

The new discussion started in December a bout a version for primary schools. Specially in a lot of description in moodle.php we think it will be better to describe some terms in an other way and to give a little more orientation. The process started very slow over the last weeks.