Really strange formatting problem

Really strange formatting problem

by Mike Korn -
Number of replies: 6
Hi All,

I am running the latest build of Moodle on an Ubuntu server and one of my teachers reported a very strange problem. We are using a 3 column theme (I believe formal white) and her right hand column has completely disappeared and she can't add blocks anymore.

I went in to the course as a system admin and moved a block from the left hand column to the right and it just vanished. This seems to have happened to only one course out of about the 250 that we have.

Any ideas as to how to solve it or how it may have happened?

I am stumped.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Korn

Re: Really strange formatting problem

by Itamar Tzadok -
To begin with you can move the administration block to the left column so that you have more testing options. You should be able to do that by looking up the move-left href url of the administration block in the page source and running it directly from the navigation bar. The problem could be some broken html in the middle column or the right column, so you can try deleting all the other blocks in the right column (same method as above) or displaying the main page in single topic view. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Mike Korn -
My Admin block is already to the left - something else I forgot to mention is that only 1 topic is being displayed. Nothing comes up below that even when I add more topics in the course settings.

In reply to Mike Korn

by Itamar Tzadok -
Yea, so the problem may be in that topic if it has content in it. Does it? smile

by Mike Korn -
I just got some more info from the teacher - she was adding photos to the course and it froze when she hit save changes. Since then, all but the first topic are inaccessible and her left hand blocks menu is gone. Since the course was not available to students, no back up was made.

She had been working all year on the course, now she and I fear losing all the work.

Please help.
In reply to Mike Korn

by Itamar Tzadok -
Again, it might some broken code in topic 1 or 2. Check the page source to find it or attach a txt file with the page source and I'll look at it. If you find the particular place where the code breaks you can open it for editing and clean it. Even if that item is not displayed you can still look up its edit url and open it directly from the browser navigation bar. smile

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Have a look at this - it might help or it might not but as Itamar said, if you can find the place where the code broke you can get to it directly via the url and clear out the nasty code from there.