Locking Required Course Grade

Locking Required Course Grade

by Andres Marti -
Number of replies: 10
I'm having a problem with the locking option to require a minimum course grade of 70% for a student to get their certificate. All students always receive this message:

"Your current course grade (0%) is below the grade required (70%) to receive your certificate."

No matter what their course grade actually is, the certificate always thinks it's 0%. I've tried changing the Certificate and Gradebook settings (tried using sum of grades vs. weighted mean of grades), but to no avail. What am I missing?

I'm using Moodle 1.9.5+ (Build: 20090729)

Thanks,
Andres

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andres Marti

Re: Locking Required Course Grade

by E. L. Cooper -
Just an idea but do you have grades set to real or percentage? I think that that percentage  should fix it fr you.
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Andres Marti -
Thanks for the suggestion, but can you be more specific? I see a number of places where grades are set to different formats, and most of them seem to be for specific reports like the Grader report. Where exactly do I set "the grades"? (As you can tell, I'm still having a tough time wrapping my mind around the structure of the new Gradebook.)

Thanks,
Andres
In reply to Andres Marti

by E. L. Cooper -

hmm In site option> Administration> Grades> Grade item settings the first dropdown defaults to real, change that to percentage

If you are using overall grade go into the class and go to Grades> Report >  Grader report Grade preferences Towards the bottom You will See Grades selected for column averages Chnge it to all You eant 0% to show on work that has not been done yet otherwise the course total is not calcultaing all activities.

Again in the course go to Grades >  Edit > Course settings

and see that Grade display type is set to percentage

I personally would set it to mean of grades certainly not sum and I am guessing you are not using weighted grades

I think that is it but if that does not get you there write again and I will dig further

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Andres Marti -
So I appreciate your willingness to help, but much of what you write does not make sense to me. I was able to do the first thing you mention, but the following paths simply do not exist within the course:

Grades > Report > Grader report -- Do you mean Grades > View > Grader report?
And once I'm there, I don't see "Grade preferences" or "column averages"

Grades > Edit > Course settings -- there's no "Edit" tab

Also, I did use weighted grades because sum of grades counts everything as a zero if not yet submitted, so participants start the term at 0% and work their way up to passing grades only by the end of the term. We did not like that behavior and solved it with weighted grades, which are not calculated into overall grades until assignments are submitted and scored (non-submitted assignments receiving a zero).

I could really use more help on this, as we no have many participants who have completed their courses complaining about the fact that the certificate module claims they have 0% in the course.

Thanks,
Andres
In reply to Andres Marti

by E. L. Cooper -

I just realized I logged into an older moodle when making my notes earlier. I apologize for the lack of clarity. I understand not liking that students work their way to a course total especially if they don't really understand what that figure means. You might want to just hide the total There is an eye you can close in category view.

Here are 3 screen shots that may help- These are just my setting in a class but they work and are pretty typical of what I do. I also provide a grade category weight breakdown in the course syllabus.

In reply to Andres Marti

by sam a -

Hello

I am also getting the same issue, I have checkd grade setting and it is percentage. But still i am gettig 0% as certificate grade. I have used the SCORM activity to which certificate is added. Activity completed with 100% score but still getting 0% certificate grade.

Thanks

Sam

In reply to sam a

by E. L. Cooper -
Is that 100% showing in the grade book? I ask becuase scorm has it's own grade book rteporting issues.
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Andres Marti -
Update: Still no success at solving this problem. Really frustrating for all of us involved. In our case, we're not using SCROM. No matter what the gradebook settings, the certificate module claims the student has a 0%, whether locked or not.
In reply to Andres Marti

by E. L. Cooper -

I did not mean to ignore this but if the course totals to a zero that is what certificate can read and it is a grade book issue. http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=2122 is the grade book forum and asking there may prove helpful.

If you are talking about conditional activities where the grade book has an actual grade then what are the conditional activity types causing the issue?

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Andres Marti -
Update: Problem was solved by installing the most recent build of the certificate module.