A Fix for running Maddle/Mahara on MAMP

A Fix for running Maddle/Mahara on MAMP

by Julian Ridden -
Number of replies: 2
If you are running MAMP or MAMP Pro for your local testing of Moodle/Mahara or Moodle 2.0 you will probably have found that there are issues.

I am pasting below a fix that I posted on the Mahara.org forums.
If your running MAMP or MAMP Pro on your Mac you will probably notice you can't run a Mahoodle setup. There are two major issues.
  • First is that you will find that xmlrpc is not included by default in MAMP.
  • Second, even when added you will get errors in your apache log stating "Symbol not found: _iconv_open" that will stop any attempts to share keys amongst your local Moodle and Mahara installations.
I am happy to say I have fixes for both issues. Please note that my fix is for the current version of MAMP (1.8.4) available from their website. Once installed you will need to add one file and then replace another that I have patched. Both files are available from here.

• Add the file "xmlrpc.so" to your extensions directory located at:
    /Applications/MAMP/bin/php5/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613
  • Replace the file envvars with this one at the following location:
    /Applications/MAMP/Library/bin
This fix may continue to work in future versions, but it cannot be guaranteed. I have also listed this bug on the MAMP website so hopefully it will be fixed.

Julian (aka Moodleman)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Julian Ridden

Re: A Fix for running Maddle/Mahara on MAMP

by Allan Hawes -

Hi, can you please fix the links to the xmlrpc.so and envvars files you have mentioned? Moodle gives me this error saying the page doesn't exist:

An unusual error occurred (tried to reach a page that does not exist)
/artefact/file/download.php?file=44014

Thanks,