New question type: Key Signatures, for music theory

New question type: Key Signatures, for music theory

by Eric Brisson -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

I have contributed a new question type that may be helpful for music theory instruction: Key Signatures. The respondent is given a tonality and is prompted to enter the corresponding key signature - answers are entered in a graphical user interface.

A question bank in Moodle XML format is provided, including all major and minor keys in treble and bass clefs.

Many thanks to Anthony Borrow for his help with the contribution process.

Eric Brisson

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eric Brisson

Re: New question type: Key Signatures, for music theory

by Andy Freed -
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
In reply to Eric Brisson

by Claire Browne -
Hi

Are there any sample questions?

I am not a music expert just a developer.

In reply to Claire Browne

by Eric Brisson -
Hello Claire,

There is a question bank in moodle xml format that can be imported ("key_signature_question_bank.xml"). It contains 60 questions that get imported into a "Key Signatures" category, so they can be easily deleted.

I think I have figured out what the problem is with "Music intervals" and an oracle database that you pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago. I am curious as to whether the "key signature" question type works in your environment (it already contains the fix I am planning to add to "intervals") - if it does, this probably means I have identified the problem and can update "intervals" accordingly.

Thanks, Eric
In reply to Eric Brisson

by Claire Browne -
Hi Unforuntely I cannot save question types and get an error.

I am not totally confident if i am setting up the quiz question correctly

If possible could you send a how to and I will try again.

I have attached a screen shot of the error.
Attachment question_keynote_error.GIF
In reply to Claire Browne

by Eric Brisson -

Thanks Claire - it's helpful to know that it still doesn't work. I think I now know what the problem is (I am using words ["size" and "mode"] for database field names that are reserved in Oracle, so the SQL queries don't get parsed properly). It just happened that I did the same mistake for both question types. 

I will let you know once I have an update for this problem - I am hoping to upload an update in the next couple of weeks (I would do it sooner but I am very busy right now).

Thanks again,
Eric

In reply to Eric Brisson

by Claire Browne -
HI Eric,

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

No rush on the new update, we are just researching different music plug ins ready for the next year of students.