CPD Report for Moodle released

CPD Report for Moodle released

by Mark Aberdour -
Number of replies: 21
Hi all,

Kineo Open Source have released CPD Report for Moodle. This allows learners to record and report on their Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activities. Learners can record their own CPD activity in the system, track type of activity, learning objectives, time spent and more. Learning or HR managers can set up customised CPD years and activity types, and view their employee's CPD Reports. The CPD Report can be printed out and signed ahead of the employee's annual appraisal. This obviously has a more corporate than academic edge which reflects our custoemr base, releasing this extension fulfils one of our most popular customer

CPD Report for Moodle works with Moodle 1.9.3 and above.

You can find it listed in the Modules and Plugins database which contains full details of features and links through to the project website where you can find the project wiki, recent activity, issue tracker, news, wiki, forums, downloads and code repository.

We hope you enjoy it. Any ideas, bugs and feedback will be gratefully received either through the project website, this forum or the modules and database forum, we are watching them all smile

Kind regards,
Mark Aberdour
Kineo Open Source
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Aberdour

Re: CPD Report for Moodle released

by tim st.clair -
Picture of Plugin developers

Is this project still being maintained? The downloads from the linked project website are no longer available (404).

In reply to tim st.clair

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Tim - Good question, I've sent Mark a Moodle message asking him to respond and to consider adding an entry to the newer Moodle plugins. Peace - Anthony 

In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Mark Aberdour -

Hi both,

I have moved jobs now and asked my previous employers some 6 months ago if they were going to continue maintaining this but never received a response. 

In the meantime there was a 2.x port by the community. You can download it at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-3127

I am happy to re-assume maintainer ownership. I'll get it into the new modules database and get the links updated, etc.

Thanks,

Mark

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by tim st.clair -

Great - will get it installed and check out the new version. CPD plugins seem to be few and far-between. Thanks for your reply.

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Tested on my Moodle2.2.1.

No admin/reports folder in Moodle2X. Created a folder as  admin/reports, droped files in it but didn't get any notification.

Then drop /cpd folder into Moodle2/reports folder, got notification and installed successfully. Saw a new link 'CPD report's under Admin menu, clicked on it link to a blank page. From the URL, I can see it linked to admin/reports/cpd, which is not exist.

In reply to William Lu

by Mark Aberdour -

Yes, I noticed that too. Works for 2.0 and 2.1 but reports architecture changed in 2.2 so it now needs additional work. I won't be able to get anyone to update it unless I can find a paying customer which will take time, so for now we are reliant on community contributions to fix it for 2.2. I will put this in Tracker so it can be voted on in the hope that  some kindly developer sees it and decide to fix it wink

Thanks,

Mark

by tim st.clair -

I have been tinkering with this some more, merging this code in with a 2.x port by Mark Johnson and also moving it into /moodle/report/cpd (update refs etc).

I put my revised code up on github: https://github.com/frumbert/moodle-report_cpd. Please take a look!

In reply to tim st.clair

by William Lu -

Installed on my Moodle2.2.1, MySQL5.0.51/PHP5.3.10.

-----------------------------------

Need changes in Readme:

Change folder name to /cpd

Drop into moodle/report (no admin/reports in Moodle2.2.1)

Admin can go to:

Admin menu > plugins > Activity modules > CPD Report Admin

---------------------------

Admin can edit all field name, very good. Admin can input his/her own report, Good!

But, non-admin cannot see the menu under 'Site administration'.

Tried give permission to teacher 'CPD Admin view', make no difference.

Would you please help me to find out why users cannot view the Report link?

From Admin view, it looks really useful for our Staff.

Looking forwards to using it.

Thanks

In reply to William Lu

by tim st.clair -

Hi William

Thatnks for the feedback. I had also found that the non-admins can't see 'Site administration' - but this is how the plugin had been originally authored. I agree that it isn't a good place for an end-user action, and am currently trying to find out how to position this link in a different existing menu. I think that the CPD addition screen should be open to all users and therefore exist either directly under the home block (e.g. at the same level as My Courses, My Profile, etc) or just inside My Profile to keep things neat. Once I work this out I'll merge the change back to the master on GitHub and post an update.

In reply to tim st.clair

by tim st.clair -

Hi. Took a lot of fiddling around to realise that users just can't get into the admin area in order to perform user-oriented functions. This should have been obvious to the original authors of this plugin.

I've had to take a different approach. For my purposes, I want CPD to be easily accessible to users - student, authenticated users, administrators and reporters alike. What I've therefore done is to make a second plugin which has the ability to add links to the Navigation block. Only plugins that exist in the /local/ folder have this capability, and moving the enture plugin there was cause headaches (after the headaches of moving it out of /admin/reports/) so the secondary plugin option seems fine.

I've uploaded the plugin to github - see https://github.com/frumbert/moodle-report_cpd_menu. Basic install instructions are on the readme, but the plugin lives in /moodle/local/cpd/ and all it does it adds menu items to a new navigation node called "CPD". Users with administrator permission can see shortcuts to the settings and reports screens, while student/authenticated users can only see the CPD activity screen (as long as you follow the permission guide I put in the readme).

hope this helps you out. It's something I need for my current situation so I designed it the way I needed it. If you are a coder then you could fork it on github if you require different functionality.

- tim

In reply to tim st.clair

by William Lu -

Dear Tim,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I installed your CPD menu, but got erorr message:

Cannot downgrade local_cpd from 2012042300 to 2012042300.

More information about this error
Stack trace:

line 246 of /lib/upgradelib.php: downgrade_exception thrown
    line 349 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugin_savepoint()
    line 1440 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()
    line 269 of /admin/index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()

In reply to William Lu

by William Lu -

I tried to log in as a teracher, I can see the CDP menu inside the Navigation block. Click on the 'View/Edit Activities' link, got:

'Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (CPD User view)'.

It will be good if the CPD menu can be under 'My profile settings'. Because the Navigation block has far too many duplicated links and I always think it is useless, so I turned if off for all my Moodle sites.

In reply to William Lu

by tim st.clair -

I also thought that the my profile area was the best place for the CPD menu, however I wasn't able to see how to modify that menu from within the plugin since the function for "finding" the my profile menu doesn't work for me, therefore adding items to that node is impossible.

as to the permission, you might need to go to site administration > users > permissions > roles and for the student/guest/teacher roles assign the cpd:viewuser capability to these roles. I'm not certain the index is correctly coded yet; it uses require_capability('report/cpd:userview', $systemcontext); so the context might need to switch to user. I'm reading about contexts now.

as to the version number, looks like I forgot to increment it in the plugin with the new version. Open up the /report/cpd/version.php file and change $plugin->version  = 2012042300; to todays date (e.g. $plugin->version  = 2012042600; and try the upgrade again.

In reply to tim st.clair

by tim st.clair -

Hi William.

I uploaded this change to the github page, and also fixed an error in the upgrade.php file. Once applied you need to allow the role permission on the page. For my requirements, this was "all users", so I edited the "authenticated users" role and specified the permissions like this:

In reply to tim st.clair

by William Lu -

Dear Tim,

All works beautifully.

Thank you very much for your prompt modifications. 

Your ReadMe files for the two plugins are very clear.

The CPD menu installed even without notification step. It is really quick and easy. (Does all plugin need notification?)

All settings come up as needed, actually, I didn't tick anything (I did tick some button last time, my moodle2 might remember it).

Just my screen is diffrent with yours.

CPD

In reply to tim st.clair

by Mark Aberdour -

Hi,

I worked on the original M1.9 plugin which I did have reservations about, as the natural location was really the student profile not the admin menu!

It is available to students when setup properly. When logged in as a student, you will only see the Report added to the bottom of the folder tree. When you click on that it takes you to the user's report page where there is an Add Activity button for new activities or Edit buttons next to activities already added.

There are two Admin only page: CPD field setups and CPD user reports but these are not intended for students. Student can only see their own CPD Report and no-one else's.

If the issue is that the student cannot see the link at all, it may be that permissions are not set correctly. Go into Users > Permissions > Define Roles > Student, there are three CPD permissions added under Reports. Admin View, Superadmin View and User View. Set User View to Allow. You may need to do the same for Authenticated User depending on your system setup.

Anyway, I'm going to check out Tim's new version for 2.2, am looking forward to having a play with it. Thanks Tim for all your hard work on this!

In reply to William Lu

by tim st.clair -

I found the same thing. I had looked for /admin/reports but in 2.2 lots of shuffling has taken place in /admin and now there's no reports in there.

I dropped "cpd" into /moodle/reports/ and then set about changing all the references in the files (e.g. path to config.php, fixing up all the paths that point to $CFG->wwwroot/$CFG->admin/reports so that they just point to /reports/cpd ... and this works to a degree.

I still get upgrade warnings (Legacy type admin in access.php was renamed to manager, please update the code.) and some errors in the admin screens (print_date_selector() has been deprecated. Please change your code to use html_writer; You should set baseurl when using flexible_table; print_single_button() has been deprecated. Please change your code to use $OUTPUT->single_button() to name a few) so I'll have to read up on what these things mean...

I've attached my changed version if you want to have a play with it.

One last thing I noted was that in settings.php the userview of the system (where users add their activities) is added to the admin menu; that is:

$ADMIN->add('root', new admin_externalpage('cpdrecord','CPD Report',"$CFG->wwwroot/report/cpd/index.php",'report/cpd:userview'));

I thought that any old user would be able to perform this function, not just admins? Surely a user view of the cpd activity screen would best go under profile or my home?

by Sam Thing -

Hi There,

I've installed this (Tim's latest github version) no problem and everything seems in place but Site admin-> Plugins-> Activity Modules-> CPD Report Admin returns the following error message:

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Invalid parameter $url, has to be full url or in shortened form starting with /.

http://moodlesite/report/cpd/index.php returns the same error for me.

I've read this thread a few times so I'm fairly confident I've not missed anything.

I hope someones still interested in this plugin otherwise I'll have to fix it myself and with my low level skills that could take weeks surprise possibly longer.

I've tested this on 2.2.1.1 (and 2.5x for fun with the same error)
In reply to Sam Thing

by Luke Carrier -

Hi Sam,

I have a replacement for this plugin currently awaiting review in the plugins directory. It's not yet functionally complete (e.g. there's no report for reviewing logged CPD activities, though it is possible to review another user's CPD), but it offers some navigation and permission improvements.

The code is available on GitHub, and the instructions for migrating your report_cpd install to local_cpd are here. Please be sure to back up your Moodle database before installing the plugin if you do choose to do so.

In reply to Luke Carrier

by Sam Thing -

That's brilliant Luke, I'll try it out on my test site this week.

Thank you.

In reply to Luke Carrier

by André Romijn -

Hi Luke,

Is there any possibility to switch off CPD report viewing by other users - but just for students (his own cpd report) only?

Best regards

ANdré