Setting Permissions for a Site Wide Forum

Setting Permissions for a Site Wide Forum

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I would like a general, site-wide forum and figured the best place to put it would be on the Front Page.

I would like authenticated users to be able to post on this forum.

I have overriden Front Page Permissions to allow Authenticated Users to post on forums.  I have also overriden the Authenticated User role to allow AU's to post on forums.

But when a logged in student (who is obviously also an Authenticated User...) tries to post on this forum he gets the message "You have to enrol in one of the courses before you can use the site activites."

Please could someone help?  Many thanks in advance.

Deborah

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Setting Permissions for a Site Wide Forum

by Steven A -
Hi, Deborah. This is from memory, but I think you need to enroll the authenticated users in the "course", which in this case is the front page. Try the following:

1. Go to Administration ▶ Front Page ▶ Front Page roles
2. Select "Student" (or whatever other role your AUs are)
3. Add the AUs

Hope this helps.
In reply to Steven A

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Steven, 

Thanks for replying.  Yes, that would make sense but oddly enough when I registered myself for the Front Page "course" and tried to reply to a forum post I got "To perform that action you need to enrol in the course."thoughtful

Anyway, your reply indicates to me that putting a forum on the front page isn't suitable for my setup because it uses self-registration and even if I enrolled new authenticated users every day there would still be a time lapse when new users couldn't access the forum.

So I am thinking of creating a course called Forum in which students would have to enrol in order to take part.  Or does anyone have a more elegant suggestion for setting up a site-wide forum?

Thanks in advance.

Deborah

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Deborah - I would have suggested what you just suggested if I'd got to this post earlier, actually - have a course just with a forum in it - use the social course format, maybe. You could actually link to it from the front page for easy access though, and with some sort of explanation join our forum here or whatever.

by Deborah Delin -

Thanks for confirming that Mary.  That's what I'll do then.

Deborah