Saving assignments - issue

Saving assignments - issue

by David Roughton -
Number of replies: 3

One of our ICT teachers has reported strange functional behaviour when she has been marking and adding comments to ASSIGNMENTS. We have looked at the issue and have identified the problem thus: 

Once the student has submitted their assignment the teacher can click on GRADE in the STATUS column. This brings up a popup with the text editor. Comments are then added by the teacher and saved, Once saved the status changes to UPDATE. So far so good. LAST MODIFIED column is then updated automatically. The teacher sees the comments have been saved - the first lines of text is also shown in the COMMENT column. (HERE LIES A PROBLEM - SEE LATER) The teacher carries on and adds comments to each students submissions until finished. At the end of her work she clicks on SAVE ALL MY FEEDBACK button. This has the effect of saving the comments as stored in the COMMENT column on the main page, and if this text differs to the comments added in the UPDATE text editor popup, the text in the COMMENT column wins. I have identified and tested this happens and why sometimes text storeed in COMMENTS and text in UPDATE/text editor are the same, and sometimes parts missing or even blank.

The PROBLEM is this - once a CARRIAGE RETURN is added in the UPDATE /text editor it doesn't refresh in the COMMENTS column - thus when you click on the SAVE ALL MY FEEDBACK button, the text in the text editor is lost or parts missing (ie as result of carriage return at the top in the former and after a para of text in the latter. If the text editor was included when the main screen is Saved then this would solve a major problem. This is unusable as it stands. Happy to talk through this - it took a while to work out the behaviour and the ASSIGNMENTS are a great feature otherwise.

Any help appreciated - tried this post a while ago but no solution forthcoming

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Roughton

Re: Saving assignments - issue

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi David
I've got my test Moodle gradebook up here and I'm trying to replicate what you are experiencing - but- I don't think I mark in the same way as you do/she does. Is she marking each one and then clicking "next" and then saving all at the end (you have quick grading enabled?) Is it because she has so many to mark it saves time rather than just clicking save and show next? Which would automatically save and avoid the need to click on save all my feedback at the end - with the resultant problem? (Sorry -that's not a solution; just a workaround)
In reply to David Roughton

by Barbara Baldwin -

Hi David

Some of our teachers are having similar problems. Having read your post and Mary's reply, I think I've worked out the answer. I assume she has Allow quick grading enabled.

Having graded the assignment and saved the comments in the popup text editor, your teacher is then clicking the Save all my Feedback button which is re-saving the cached comments and grade (or an blank box if the assignments not yet been graded) in the quick grade view, thus overwriting the comments she has just added in the popup editor. (I hope that makes sense!)

The answer is not to click the Save all my Feedback button. If she refreshes the page all the comments will appear in the quick grade boxes.

This looks like the answer to our problem, I hope it is for yours.

Barbara

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Barbara Baldwin

by Nancy Slavin -
I had this same problem tonight and lost a huge amount of work, the overwriting of my comments and the grades on the assignments! I am writing composition teacher so to have to reread and regrade and recomment on this assignment is daunting and depressing. I looked in my reports for today day, but could not get into the updated work (the popup box said the Moodle Course Module ID was wrong?). My question: Is there some way to get all that work I did back?