Help! Blank screen after clicking next at the enter "Web Address" page

Help! Blank screen after clicking next at the enter "Web Address" page

by Zifang Su -
Number of replies: 4
I followed the instructions to install, but after clicking next at the enter "Web Address" Page, I got a blank page! Did not even get a chance to configure the database. Can someone help me please? I'm using Vista and tried on both Firefox and Explorer. I would like to make it such that other people can access the moodlge page. Thank you!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zifang Su

Re: Help! Blank screen after clicking next at the enter "Web Address" page

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Chances are there is a permission setting in Vista that is interfering with your installation. You need to turn off just about all the security provisions in Vista to make this work. You have the installation instructions for Vista so it should already be done. I am sure there was something about the server that needed to be done as well, but that depended upon the server I think, IIS or Apache.. Have the ports been set?

What are you installing? A WAMP or a XAMPP? btw. Seriously suggest you look at the information about a WAMP, the Xampp might look the easier option but it is not always workable in Vista.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Zifang Su -
I downloaded the complete install packages for windows and is installing that. So that is a XAMPP. I have no idea whether the ports have been set though. Is there any documentation that I can look at on how to do that? Also, do you have any links to WAMP? Appreciate the help!
In reply to Zifang Su

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
You do not have to worry about ports with a Xampp, is done automatically.

Installing a WAMP is different. You start by downloading individual elements, Apache, PHP, MySQL and Moodle. You also need to go to Modules and Plugins to get phpMyAdmin.

Almost full instructions on how to set up each of these elements can be found in three videos located at Install Apache, PHP and MySQL on Windows Vista. Installing Moodle is simplest here, but it will not run until properly you finish configuring the php.ini and httpd.conf files for Moodle. Also, the MySQL install is a little different than what the video is suggesting. I have worked those things out, pretty simple actually. Let me know if you want to go for it, I will post them.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Zifang Su -

Hi Colin

Yes I definitely want to try and greatly appreciate all the help you are giving me. Please post all that you think is required to make it work! Many thanks for helping me out!