Forum for staff only?

Forum for staff only?

by Richard Dudley -
Number of replies: 5
Is there any way of creating a forum that only members of staff can see and post to? As far as I'm aware, if you create a new forum then that forum can be read by everyone. What I require however is a discussion area for the latest college developments etc and so cannot be seen by students, only by staff. Is there a way of doing this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Dudley

Re: Forum for staff only?

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
A Teacher's Forum is automatically in each course. This is only visible to teachers and not students.
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You can also make a special course and enrol all the teachers in it as students (or give out an enrolment key for them to enrol themselves).
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Richard Dudley -
I'm looking more for a general forum though that isn't tied to one particular course. It's going to be for general college discussions. Cheers.
In reply to Richard Dudley

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Richard,
    Still, the best advice is Martin's: a dedicated course
Please, note that a Moodle course is not necessarily a Week/topics  format. You can use the Social format. However, you may found that you actually need more than just one forum. Perhaps eithin some weeks you need to split in two forums, for didactical/administrative issues, or include a user wiki or glossary (FAQ), etc.

At my site, we have setup  a "Teacher Room" course with several forums (technical service, pedagogical advice, social) and access to resources like manuals, rules etc. Moodle call it a "course" but no one is "lecturing" on it.

- Enrique Castro -