Installing Moodle on Windows 7 64bit Home Edition

Installing Moodle on Windows 7 64bit Home Edition

by Bob Sather -
Number of replies: 14
I am running Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit and have successfully installed Apache, MySQL, PHP, and Moodle 1.9.7 as follows:

Download Xammplite from http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#646 I downloaded 1.7.3 zip.

Download Moodle Standard Package (Not the bundled package) from http://download.moodle.org/ I downloaded 1.9.7+ zip.

Run Xampplite as Administrator (I did as a precaution)
Install on C:\
Take all the defaults
At end of setup, Start Xampp console
Start Apache (don't run admin)
Start MySQL (run admin)
Create a Database for Moodle

I found that if I ran Apache admin first, when I ran MySQL admin I got an error. Don't despair. At bottom right of error page is an option to rerun the page. Taking that will bring up MySQL admin.

Extract Moodle Standard Package to C:\Xampplite\htdocs

Go to web browser, http://localhost/Moodle

Install Moodle. I don't know if this is the "right" way to do this, but it's straight forward and it works. Have fun!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Sather

Re: Installing Moodle on Windows 7 64bit Home Edition

by James Jameson -

In addition:

There are also some useful training videos and intruction for setting Moodle up on Win7 at:

http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourseN.aspx?lpk2=47547,

Under the heading Content Management Systems (CMS) - Then the Moodle for teachers hyperlink.

Have a Happy New Year

James

In reply to James Jameson

by Tracy DeLeon -

James:

I could not find anything on Lynda.com about installing Moodles on WINDOWS 7.  This is not the same as installing it on Windows XP or Vista..you do know there are different versions of Windows right?  The instruction on Lynda discusses installation of Moodle 1.94 on Windows XP.  Please, check your posting and please update because I spent a great deal of time trying to find what you were referring to and I could not find it.

Demarcus

In reply to Tracy DeLeon

by Bob Sather -
I went to the Lynda.com site and it appeared they were selling videos on Moodle. It didn't look too bad for $50, but I had the impression that I would have to buy the video.

I've also seen this identical post under some different questions. It could be going to Lynda.com and buying her video is the answer to everything.
In reply to Bob Sather

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Lynda.com's Moodle course is instructions for teachers only. These videos do NOT include more than a tiny fraction of what the administrator must know. They do not tell you how to upload Moodle except as a test site.
And for example, they tell you how to backup and restore a course within Moodle. But they do not touch on the crucial skill of backing up and restoring your site.
In reply to Bob Sather

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have seen a few postings extolling the virtues of Lynda.com. I am wondering, with my moderator's hat on, if it is enthusiastic users or blatant advertising. I would advise some caveat emptor for the moment wink

There's *lots* of free stuff for Moodle to try before shelling out your dollars!
In reply to Howard Miller

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
I am certainly inclined to agree Howard, why spend money on something that is actually so trivial? OK, call me scrooge, but I rather spend my hard earned credit card on something worthwhile, like a decent feed of fish and chips big grin, or the latest book from John Ralston Saul - excellent brainfood.

There is so much freely available information around about how to do things it is just wasteful to spend anything on it. Besides, most of the time, the information is about what you need, but not exactly what you want - you need more. I find that I am better off downloading three or four examples of the same thing, from different sources, to get a good cross reference of what I am looking for. I can usually figure it out from there, but no one has ever accused me of being the sharpest knife in the draw.

In reply to Bob Sather

by Tracy DeLeon -
Before you guys post..can you please indicate who is your intended audience.  The self installing Moodle download is for us non-technical folks who do not know the details of installing Apache, MySql or the likes indepedently.  At first glance, when I read your note, I thought I just had to download and install Apache, MySQl and Moodle. I thought there would be user friendly wizards to walk me through these installations but there were not.  I just saw a bunch of files in several directories that I did not know how to use. The instructions you left apparently were intended for folks who could fill in a lot of technical blanks.
In reply to Tracy DeLeon

by Colin Fraser -
Tracy, do not despair - this is the norm for here, but you will be surprised how quickly you will pick up on it. Lots of reading, in the Moodle Docs, but then you have to decipher the language, and that is the hard part. That is why I wanted to set up and write the Beginning Admin and Xampp Installer FAQs. I have not done a tute for the Xamp installer, too many others around that say it all anyway. The Lynda video discusses XP, but uses Vista in the environment.

As for setting up a Moodle and not use the Xampplite installer, while I agree it appears demanding, it is, once you understand how, actually quite simple, but getting to that point can be the challenge. If you go to this link, the videos there will tell you how to set up Apache, PHP and MySQL on a Vista computer. (The only things I would suggest different is in the MySQL video that you use a database install that actions both ISAM and InnoDB engines, not a developer and use the UTF-8 character set. There is another element in the http.conf file as well just set the Directory Index to acept php files.) I found the most difficult part was actually the PHP install, if that did not work, nothing else did.

There is no reason to think that there will be too many differences in Windows 7 but I have yet to squirrel a copy to give it a try and I have avoided using Vista personally. If you want a seriously frustrating experience, try installing Adobe CS3 Master Collection onto Vista.angry $(Aus)3000 of software that cannot run.. unbelievable - overcharged for something that does not work.
In reply to Tracy DeLeon

by Bob Sather -
Sorry Tracy - my post simply involved downloading different options from Xampp and Moodle - no programming required. If you are installing Moodle on a Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit, let me know and I will send you step by step instructions. The whole thing only takes about 5 minutes and works like a charm.
In reply to Bob Sather

by Colin Fraser -
Bob,

"If you are installing Moodle on a Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit, let me know and I will send you step by step instructions. The whole thing only takes about 5 minutes and works like a charm."

This is an interesting comment, please feel free to post these instructions in Moodle Docs. Or if you rather look at the Xampp Installer FAQ, I can set you up a specific link for you to do it.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Bob Sather -
Colin -

I thought I was pretty specific in my original post. Most folks could figure it out no problem. I was willing do do screen shots and email this lady if necessary.
In reply to Bob Sather

by Steve Klund -
Bob,

I just installed Win7 on my main pc at work. If you do have a pic by pic how-to, I'd be really interested as most of my experience server-wise is with linux.
In reply to Steve Klund

by Ric Parodi -

Steve,

Try installing directly from Microsoft.  They provide an installer that does all the setting for you:

http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/

I have installed successfully in WIN 7 and Server 2008 R2 using their web platform installer.  This does not install apache, though.  Moodle will run through IIS.

The only addition I would recommend is getting the latest version of MySql Workbench from http://MySql.com, unless you preffer the command line.

-R!

In reply to Bob Sather

by Colin Fraser -
Hi Bob,

Agreed, that you have done, but if you would care to share the screen grabs and elaborate on the process and post the result into MoodleDocs, that would be good. I do not have Windows 7, at least not yet, so cannot do it myself.

If you don't have the time send me the images and I can set it up, I am taking a break right now so have the time. Let me know and I will give you my private email. Cheers..