Setting up the duration of a forum within a course

Setting up the duration of a forum within a course

par Cristian Cordeiro,
Nombre de réponses : 3
Hello everybody,

We are about to make this customisation to Moodle and I just want to ask if anyone knows if something similar is predicted to be developed for the next releases.

We want to add a feature such as, when you create a forum you have the ability to select for how long that forum will last (1 Week, 1 Month, 6 Months, Permanent). After reaching that period of time, the forum would be closed to any new posts/replies, being exclusively read-only. Sometime after disabling the forum, that forum would be removed from the classroom permanently.

We are still working on details such as how we are going to calculate how long it will take between making it read-only and removing it, or if the forum removal will be only a soft removal (hiding it) or a hard removal (deleting from DB), but before we move any further we would like to know if anyone knows if this is something to be implemented on further versions, or even if somebody have made a similar customisation.

Thanks,

Cristian Cordeiro
Moyenne des évaluations  -
En réponse à Cristian Cordeiro

Re: Setting up the duration of a forum within a course

par Eleri Owen,

I would also be very interested to know whether this feature is predicted to be developed for the next releases.

In the meantime, Cristian, have you been able to add this customisation to the Forums? 

Regards

Eleri 

En réponse à Cristian Cordeiro

par Steven A,
Yes, automatic opening and closing of Forum posting permissions would be nice.

At this point in time, it's possible only to do it manually.

1. Turn editing on.
2. Edit the forum.
3. Select the "Override permissions" tab
4. Select "Student"
5. Set "Reply to posts" and "Start new discussion" to "prevent".

This makes the Forum read-only for students (teachers can still post). Not automatic, but it get's the job done. sourire
En réponse à Steven A

par Cristian Cordeiro,
Hello everyone, sorry for the delay.

I am waiting for some definitions from my PM so I can move forward with these customisations. The bad news is that as far as I've heard this is a political matter here and I'm not sure if it is going to be implemented or not. Although if a lot of people show interest on it, I can make it as a contribution to the community. What do you guys think?