Moodle vs MOO

Moodle vs MOO

by Wonko ]8@ -
Number of replies: 2
I run a Moodle and 3 MOOs - it seems that Moodle does some things really well and MOO does it's thing really well and there is some overlap, but the 2 tools are often confused as the same thing.

What do you reckon?

MOO = Multi-User Object Oriented environment (based on chat rooms, MUD, MUSH, etc).  I use MOOs with my middle school students and they love them because they are constructivist and Constructionist (students make their own virtual spaces, fill them with smart objects) and supports many forms of online learning.  It has a virtual assignment server engine (unlike anything in Moodle that I have been able to find so far) and encourages kids to communicate with each other synchronously)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wonko ]8@

Re: Moodle vs MOO

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I used to spend a lot of time creating stuff inside MOO/MUSE/MUSH etc back in the late 80's and early 90's (even built a VRML interface for one!), and there is really very little in common with Moodle (apart from the name).  You could probably get some of the way there with a Wiki and a Chat, combined.

It would be very cool to see some persistence added to the Chat module so that it did function more like a MOO, or alternatively some work on a new module that provides a nice web interface onto a separate MOO.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Moodle vs MOO

by Ger Tielemans -
Wiki alone is enough: you can "chat" on every page.. and clean/improve the page after the chat. (The chat is still visible/traceable in the page history)