Integration with .net web application

Integration with .net web application

by Cecilia Hagglund -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,

We want to integrate our .net web application with Moodle. The idea is that when a user clicks on help in the .net web application the user should be taken to our moodle centre. The username and password from the web app will be transferred to and used as username and password for Moodle.

I have not been able to find any documentation about how to achieve this. Can someone help me? We also need to consider the security for the solution.

Kind Regards
Cecilia
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cecilia Hagglund

Re: Integration with .net web application

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You will need an authentication plugin for Moodle that does single-sign-on. Since you are in the .net world, I would look at NTLM, but I don't know if that does SSO.

Then, you just need a way to make help in the .net application go to the right URL.
In reply to Cecilia Hagglund

by Ashley Sands -
Hi,

I have similar project to Cecilia's.

I want to be able to achieve Single Sign On between a .Net web app and Moodle with a url.

e.g.

wwww.mymoodlesite.com/moodle/courseone/topic1?username=tom&password=hbs35lscld234s

For example, the web app will direct the user to a Moodle topic using a url where it will pass the user's credentials via the url parameters.

Does anyone know how to achieve this? Is there a module or patch that provides such functionality.

Thanks in advance,
Ashley
In reply to Ashley Sands

by James McLean -
We did this exact thing recently. We needed single sign on from a custom .NET application, and we were able to solve it with some custom code. While I cannot provide the code itself at this point, I have outlined briefly how it was done.

So I'm not repeating myself, please have a look at the thread here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=138240

Cheers