ERROR: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

by Esquire Legal -
Number of replies: 3
Users are getting the "Tried to send you an email but failed!" error.

My outgoing SMTP settings are exactly the same as my marketing email application, Send Blaster, which can send mails fine, but Moodle won't.

What could be wrong?

Could it have anything to do with the fact that my moodle site is on a subdomain of my website?

example http://course.mydomain.com

I don't know what to do, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Esquire Legal

Re: ERROR: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

by David Soden -

Assuming your SMTP settings are as you say exact. check the SMTP server itself first. The server may have access restrictions in place by either IP,Subnet, Or Domain, if so tweak the settings to include the server, subnet, domain or IP.

In reply to David Soden

by Esquire Legal -
Ok, thanks for the reply.

I have to say, you're kinda talking over my head with the tech-stuff.

I have my website and moodle course on a 3rd party webhost, so is this something they should look into and address?

Technically speaking, I'm the Admin, but "tech"-nically, I don't know much about changing server settings. If I were to tackle this myself, would these settings be found in my moodle installation or in my website's cPanel backend?

I will probably submit a "trouble ticket" with my webhost, but if it's not too complicated, maybe I can handle it.

I did go ahead and enable "verbose debugging" when attempting to send SMTP mail. Here's the "verbose" error log:

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: Connection timed out (110)

Is there another method for handling email-based student self-registrations until I get this SMTP issue sorted?

Thanks again!
In reply to Esquire Legal

by David Soden -

sorry I thought this was on your network

You need to contact your host provider because likely you 2nd domain is hosted on another server. sometimes if you have more than one domain and if they are on the same server you can use localhost and your authentication credentials.

since this is hosted... who knows each company is setup slightly different.
call or open a ticket and ask them which SMTP server you should use for this domain where moodle is installed.