Weighting

Weighting

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 2

Hi Gordon

If I understand rightly, the sum of the weighting of all  the quizzes in a Quizport should be 100, assuming one wants the ideal score to be 100%.

I am trying to figure out how to set the weighting for Quizports with over 100 quizzes.

In the quiz weighting option there are options to set the weighting to Equal Weighting (1) - Equal Weighting (10).  Do the figures in brackets refer to the number of quizzes in the Quizport? 

Would it be possible to have an Equal Weighting option for large Quizports, or could you suggest another method?

Thank you.

Deborah

Average of ratings; -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Weighting

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,
I suggest you just leave the "Score weighting" at 100% for any quizzes that you want to contribute toward the unit grade. QuizPort will then give them all equal weighting.

Actually the weighting is relative, so they don't need to all add up to 100%. You can just think in rough terms and QuizPort will smooth over the gaps so that every thing will be a percentage in the end.

The "Equal weighting" categories are for Quizports which split into separate streams. For example, you might have an "intro" quiz which asks students whether they want to take the easy, medium or advanced stream. The score weightings on the quizzes in each stream would be set as follows:
  • Easy: Equal weighting (1)
  • Medium: Equal weighting (2)
  • Advanced: Equal weighting (3)
In this way, the quizzes in each stream are put together into a weighting groups.
You don't to worry about how many quizzes there are in each stream. QuizPort will make sure that the weightings are such that whatever stream they take, the maximum possible unit grade for doing all the quizzes in one stream is 100%.

Probably, I have not made myself very clear. I fear that explanation would only make sense if you already understood what i was talking about ?!

But the long and the short of it is generally you will only need to use a quiz score weighting of 100%. Then all scoring quizzes contribute equally to the unit attempt grade. Non-scoring quizzes should have a weighting of 0%.

Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: Weighting

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon

Thanks so much for explaining that.  Now I understand that it is so much easier than I thought and all I have to do is set the weighting to 100%.

As for Equal Weighting and streams - I think it will be a while before I tackle that idea.

Thank you.

Deborah