Guest permissions for hotpot quizes - how to disable ?

Guest permissions for hotpot quizes - how to disable ?

by Dorota B -
Number of replies: 6
I want to allow the guest see the course but not attempt HotPotatoes quizes. I modified the role of guest in Permissions > User policies and forbade the guest to attempt Hotpot.
However this doesn't work . The guest can attempt quiz easily .

What can I do ?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dorota B

Re: Guest permissions for hotpot quizes - how to disable ?

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Dorota

What version of Moodle are you using? If you are using 1.7 or later you can change the Guest's capability. This is modified via Administration ► Users ► Permissions ► Define roles.

The capability to view/attempt a Hot Potatoes Quiz is "Attempt a quiz [mod/hotpot:attempt]" so you need to change this to Prevent for the Guest role. This can be done either at Site Level (as above) or when updating the activity and clicking on the Override Permissions tab, selecting Guest and making the change.

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Dorota B -
Thanks for your reply.
I am using Moodle 1.9.5 +
I've been trying to follow you advice : sill nothing happens . I can't disable guest from hotpot quiz attempt sad
In reply to Dorota B

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Dorata, Hello Teresa,

I checked the scripts and it seems the HotPot module doesn't check capabilities before showing students a HotPot activity. Yikes!

I will fix that tomorrow and upload the modified scripts to the Moodle CVS repository. It usually takes a few days or even a week for modifications to appear in the zip files on the Moodles download page.

thanks very much for bringing this to my attention
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Dorata and Teresa,
I have added checks to the HotPot scripts to ensure that only users who have the necessary capability, "mod/hotpot:attempt", can view a HotPot and submit results.

I have also confirmed that modifying the guest role, in the way that Teresa described above, will now prevent guests from trying HotPot activities on a site with the modified HotPot scripts.

This change affects Moodle 1.7 - 1.9 (and Moodle HEAD which will one day soon become Moodle 2.0). The modified scripts will be available from the Moodle downloads page in a few days.

many thanks
Gordon

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi everyone,

I've appreciated it all these years that guests could see and do Hot Potatoes exercises.

You'll never manage to please everyone, Gordon. smile

Cheers,
Glenys

by Dorota B -
Thanks a lot smile Meanwhile I discovered that "opening " hotpot to guests brought more popularity for the website , and so ,this turned out better option for me .