For the most part, moodle forums don't work.

For the most part, moodle forums don't work.

by Ron Danault -
Number of replies: 19

It's obvious that there are many qualified Moodle experts who have the knowledge to solve any problem that anyone might have during the installation, configuration, development, etc. of this free open source software. The problem is......moodle forums don't work!!!!! The response time is never fast enough, some discussion threads are ignored, problems aren't always expained correctly and therefore misunderstood, too many variables make it impossible for experts to understand the root of the problem. What is needed, in my opinion, is direct contact  between the problem person and the problem solver. By this I don't mean "Moodle Partners". Moodle Partners require that you host with them before they will help you and they charge a bundle.

Here's a great oportunity for you Moodle experts! Start your own personal Moodle assistance hotline. Charge by the minute and I'll bet you'd make a killing. You'd be surprised how many people out there, like myself, are struggling to get this software to work. I'm sure that most of the problems we consider impossible, are nothing more than a simple solution to you. Most of us would even be willing to give you access to our servers and databases so that you could actually see the problems first hand.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. My original point is this.....MOODLE FORUMS DO NOT WORK!!!!!!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ron Danault

Re: For the most part, moodle forums don't work.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You are most welcome to vent smile- however, I do beg to differ. If you watch these forums people post from all over the world nearly every minute and others from elsewhere in the world answer -nearly every minute. Frankly you could not get better assistance from a paid service - one of the main "plusses" of Moodle is its massive support system - run by volunteers. I'm sure some people do make a killing charging for Mooodle assistance -but what do those people do when they get stuck on a question? Come here and ask on the forums wink Please tell us again what your difficulties are and those with the technical knowledge will try to help. I know I miss questions posed sometimes because they go further down the list when new ones come up.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ron Danault -

Thank you very much for your response Mary. I guess I was a little frustrated because two of my discussion posts were ignored, but because I realize the benefits of Moodle, I refuse to give up. I've decided to uninstall all of my Moodle files, delete my database and start from scratch. I will be downloading version 1.9.6+ again. If I have the same problem, I will again post it to this forum and hope for the best.

In reply to Ron Danault

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Posts are most often "ignored" on the forums because the person who wrote it didn't provide enough information about the problem or their Moodle environment. To increase your chances of getting a response you should always ensure that you provide as much detailed information about the problem, and your Moodle setup, as possible.

When you go to the doctor you don't just say, "I'm sick, fix me". Instead you give him a description of your symptoms so that he can try to determine what is causing the symptoms and how to fix them. The same applies in these forums.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ron Danault

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Did you ask a Moodle Partner to help?

"Moodle Partners require that you host with them before they will help you and they charge a bundle."

....certainly not generally true. Charging a bundle is a matter of perspective of course. I would also say that the Moodle forums are *remarkable* value - especially for free.

If you're still stuck, please list what your current issues are (I see you have a few) and I'll certainly try to restore Moodle's tarnished reputation.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ron Danault -
When moodle is first installed and you're at the login screen for the first time are the username and password both "admin"?
In reply to Ron Danault

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No - they are whatever you specified when it asked you to create the admin user a few screens earlier. If it didn't something has gone wrong with the installation. If you did and you forgot, you can either drop the database and start again or there is a trick to fix it.

What's your situation?
In reply to Ron Danault

Re: For the most part, moodle forums DO work.

by Chad Outten -
@Ron: a quick fyi - I've changed the forum thread title bcs I couldn't disagree with you more!

Moodle rewards those who are patient, persistent and polite. If the idea of paid support from a Moodle Partner is unappealing, then, there is plenty of free support here in the forums. moodle is a generous community - be kind to it & it will return the favour. you need to be prepared to ask the right questions, teach others and help yourself - if you want to learn.

The forums are a basic building block for social constructivism. what that means to anybody serious about education is, we can learn from each other, through exchanging ideas, observing discussions and trying to explain things to others.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Philosophy

Happy moodling. Chad
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chad Outten

by Morgan Harris -
Hmm. I'm inclined to say "Moodle Forums don't work", in the sense that they are broken, because I have somehow become subscribed to this thread when I've never read it before in my life. Moodle Developers, consider this a bug report.
In reply to Morgan Harris

by Howard Miller -
I doubt it's a bug (considering how much these forums are used). You do not subscribe to threads in Moodle , you subscribe to complete Forums. You made at least one post in the Installation Problems forum prior to this and that would do it.

If you don't want to receive posts you can unsubscribe at the top right of the forum page. There are also options in your user profile to disable emails or to switch to digests.
In reply to Morgan Harris

by Jeff Forssell -
There are also links at the bottom of the mail you get from a forum:

In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Ron Danault -

Hello All,

My frustration is beginning to subside. Thank you everyone for your patience and helpful advice. I never gave up on Moodle, I've seen it work in the past and I'm aware of it's benefits. I'm glad I didn't give up.

I've finally successfully installed Moodle 1.9.6 and it seems to work fine:

http://mrdanault.com/moodle

One thing I don't understand however. I want new visitors to be able to create their own user account but my login page doesn't seem to have that feature. They can login with an existing account but they can't create their own.

http://mrdanault.com/moodle/login/index.php

Is there a setting I can change to make this happen?

Thank You!

In reply to Ron Danault

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. That is because, by default, you cannot register yourself on Moodle - because of potential spam issues. You need to turn this feature on by going to site admin on the front page and then users>authentication>manage authentication and then enabling email-based self registration. Hope that helps. (I can't view your Moodle because of the strict filtering system in my school but that's probably your solution)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ron Danault -
Thank you Mary. I can see this is going to be a learning process but I look forward to the challenge. Since my school doesn't have any type of course management software this program should be a valuable asset.
In reply to Chad Outten

by Ron Danault -

Hello Chad,

Your advise sounds good. I will take it. Thanks

In reply to Ron Danault

by Colin Matheson -
I love the Moodle.org community! One feature that could improve communication is the ability to subscribe to a particular thread. That way you can follow the status of your questions and/or questions you have provided help on. Instead I get a massive email with every thread.

Sometimes I go through the forums and find "dead questions" (questions that were never answered) and if I can help, I post. However, the original questioner probably doesn't know that their question has been answered 2-3 weeks after they posted (which could be adequate response time for many issues). I often send a message to the original poster letting them know (because they may have unsubscribed from the overall forum). Maybe we should have a checkbox for the original poster (or moderators) to say "question answered". This would turn these forums into a more of a "help desk" forum even though Moodle itself is a learning platform. We could even have a filter to view all posts with no responses (or all posts which are unresolved).

Because Moodle.org is so huge it is possible for questions to get lost in the mix. However, a good explanation of the problem and some persistance (reply to your original post with "Still looking for help") usually gets the job done.

I have also found it useful to go to my profile page and click on Forum Posts. Then I can go back through my old posts and see if there is any new information on my questions and on the questions I have helped answer.

Moodle.org is the best online community but it is good to think about ways for it to improve as Moodle use grows EXPONENTIALLY! cool
In reply to Colin Matheson

by Howard Miller -
"One feature that could improve communication is the ability to subscribe to a particular thread"

Agree +1000. This has been discussed before and I think/hope it will turn up in Moodle 2.0 (or 2.1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Joe Rowe -
I agree. The ability to subscribe your email just to a thread is very important, and everyone agrees it is long overdue. Looks like version 2.1 will have it.

I found it Searching Tracker.Moodle.Org

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-1626

Right now there are two options
a) Don't subscribe to email on a busy forum, and possibly miss important stuff
b) Subscribe to get every reply from every topic on a busy forum, and miss important stuff

I'm going to try option A, and try the web based verison of "Un-read" messages".