Custom Format Creation

Custom Format Creation

by Jason O'Brien -
Number of replies: 4
Hello there-

We're looking very hard at moving from our current Angel system to Moodle in the next few months. Over the past year my department spent many hours coming up with a new standardized format for all of our online courses to use. I wrote a custom interface inside Angel to accommodate this and would like to duplicate that as a course format in Moodle.

Attached is a screenshot of the interface I made in Angel. Since the core Angel interface is essentially immutable, I created this as a pop-up course content interface.

My question is how do I recreate this as a course format in Moodle? I'd like a static lesson navigation that lists all the items of the lesson in the left side menu so the student can easily navigate between them. No clicking breadcrumbs, back buttons, etc.

This model worked well in Angel because Angel uses iframes to load content, so I used an iframe to load the content of the lesson object. Moodle doesn't use iframes (which is better for accessibility) but as a result I'm not sure how to hack away the header and footer from, say, a discussion forum and wrap it into my own structure.

Any help/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Attachment BACMenu.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason O'Brien

Re: Custom Format Creation

by Elizabeth Senger -

Jason,

We're in the same situation - did you have any luck with this?

In reply to Elizabeth Senger

by Jason O'Brien -
Actually I'm very close to finishing a new course format. I also had to make a new theme to cut off the header and footer.

Attached is a screenshot of it.

The icons at the bottom will be navigation to the fixed course items (announcements, calendar, grades, etc). The scrollbars will also be gone, except for one at the right inside the page view.

Due to the layout being very strict it's nearly impossible to edit the content. So when you turn editing on, it shows you the weeks editing interface to make changes. Turn editing off again and you're back to this interface.

I'm happy to share it once it's in working order, hopefully sometime in the next couple weeks.
Attachment BACMoodleMenu1.png
In reply to Jason O'Brien

by Chris Walker -

Hi Jason,

Just having a look through and I found this discussion. I like the look of your course format - did you get it finished in the end?

Thanks

In reply to Chris Walker

by Jason O'Brien -

I did, though I ended up using some functions that are specific to MSSQL Server.

I also had to monkey around with the theme and I made a minor change to how breadcrumbs are formed (I added a new breadcrumb function that chops it down a bit).

I'm happy to share it but it may be tricky to get working on another system.