1.9.2 on Ubuntu 8.04 migrating to hostgator.com (1.9.4 native)

1.9.2 on Ubuntu 8.04 migrating to hostgator.com (1.9.4 native)

by Richard Weiner -
Number of replies: 7
In July 2008, we had taken the plunge, built a computer and installed Ubuntu 8.04 Server, studied alot on these fora, and then installed and configured Moodle for our school, Conservatory Prep Senior High School. Our physical plant is located in Davie, FL, USA, and our moodle server has been at http://www.conservatoryprep.net on our Ubuntu server box, with the name servers pointing to our Static IP address provided by Comcast.

Now, we have purchased a shared hosting account with hostgator.com. I have transferred over the school's main webpage via cPanel to the hostgator.com account which can be visited at http://www.conservatoryprep.org. Now, it is time to migrate our Moodle website from the Ubuntu Server box to the shared hosting account with hostgator.com via cPanel.

Our current version of Moodle is 1.9.2, which was the version installed in July 2008. Hostgator provides an automated install of Moodle with version 1.9.4.

Can we transfer (migrate?) our existing Moodle installation from the Ubuntu Server box to hostgator.com via cPanel? If so, what do we need to copy, backup, etc.?

I have read through MoodleDocs and these fora, without feeling that I am knowledgeable as to how I can accomplish this. Obviously, we do not want to lose any data (courses, assignments, news, grades, user accounts, etc.).

Please HELP.

Richard M. Weiner
Conservatory Prep Senior High School
Davie, FL, USA
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Weiner

Re: 1.9.2 on Ubuntu 8.04 migrating to hostgator.com (1.9.4 native)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The process is well documented: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrade
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Richard Weiner -
Thanks for reply, but no, my situation is not covered by the Upgrade nor the Migration FAQS. I had printed those and several others 2 weeks ago, not helpful to moving a localhost to a webserver such as Hostgator.com.

But, thanks again for at least the reply. I am not angry nor being disrespectful. Just extremely frustrated with the lack of responses that I have gained (until you had at least tried) on the forum. All that being said, I will post my results after efforts based upon advice gained from an ex-forum member.

Indeed, I have successfully contacted an ex-forum member who had posted about similar efforts many months ago. He is out of the country and no longer running moodle for his old school. However, he is now corresponding with me via e-mail in order to provide assistance and guidance with exactly the issues I am facing. He had similar problems getting assistance from users on the forum pages, and eventually worked his way through his problems alone. I hope that he can walk me through it.

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
To put it in simple steps:

1. Upgrade your local site to the same version as the hosted one you want to migrate to
  2. Backup all three areas of your local site (moodle folder, moodle data folder and moodle database)
  3. Backup the same three areas of your hosted moodle
  4. overwrite the hosted moodle data folder and database with the backups from your local install
That is it in the simplest terms but there are a number of additional steps within each of those steps.

Let us know if you do not understand these steps and we can try to expend on the specifics further.

Jon

--- Edit ---
These steps are basically what you do when upgrading or migrating - as stated in the docs pages you where pointed at to start with wink
In reply to Jon Witts

by Richard Weiner -
Mr. Witts:

Thank you for your reply.

I understand the process you are suggesting, and it seems logical.

However, won't I have to edit multiple files since the location of files will be different on the webserver as opposed to their location on the Ubuntu-based local computer server?

Also, won't several needed applications on Hostgator.com be different or at least different versions than those that were installed with Ubuntu (php, java, etc.)? And some possibly non-existent on Hostgator.com?

I will not be able to use the local host until my office opens Monday morning, but I will go in early in order to get access to it and try your suggestion. It will require that I upgrade from 1.9.2 to 1.9.5 on the local computer, and then compress folders and upload those folders to Hostgator.com. Also, the moodledata folder will have to be located outside public_html folder, as I have read from several posts not to locate that folder within the public_html folder.

If you, or others viewing this thread, can help by responding to my questions posted above, I would appreciate it.

Richard

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The only file you may need to edit would be the config.php on the hostgator site to make sure it points to the correct database and moodledata folder. You may also want to run the replace.php file in your admin folder once you have completed everything else.
In reply to Jon Witts

by E. L. Cooper -

I am not sure that is true John. In a normal migration the mysql (and I know not if the local server is running mysql or some other flavor) the originating numeric IP address has to be replaced with the new one and if the site is moving to a variation on the site name that has to be replaced too.

For the record I would not chose the host gator automated install and to be frank unless your school has very few simultaneous moodle users you will be unhappy with shared hosting at host gator.

In reply to E. L. Cooper

by Richard Weiner -
E.L. Cooper wrote:

For the record I would not chose the host gator automated install and to be frank unless your school has very few simultaneous moodle users you will be unhappy with shared hosting at host gator.

Would you please elaborate on why we will not be happy with Hostgator.com?

Did not select the base package but their business package. Supposedly very high bandwidth. Supposedly. No experience yet, as need to get Moodle installed and operational.

Look forward to your insight on Hostgator.com.