Can I use one HotPot twice, in different categories?

Can I use one HotPot twice, in different categories?

by Gerald Grow -
Number of replies: 7
Say I have a HotPot JQuiz in Site Files.

I add it as an Activity in a course and assign it to category "Practice," allowing 5 attempts, and recording the highest grade, worth a max. of 10 points.

Later, I add it in another place in the same course as an Activity and assign it to the category "Test," allowing only one attempt and giving it a max. grade of 100.

The idea is, students practice the quiz at one point in the course, up to 5 times for a small grade. Later in the course, they take the same quiz once (with questions in random order), for a bigger grade.

Will this work? Is it likely to cause any problems? Will the counts of the different attempts interfere with one another? That is, when students go to take it on the second occasion in category "Test," will Moodle think they have already used up their one attempt?

Or are the attempts counted differently, and the reset-attempt options?

I hope the question makes sense.

Gerald Grow

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Grow

Re: Can I use one HotPot twice, in different categories?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I think it should work and shouldn't cause any problems - and the courses won't know that it is being used twice in the gradebook. I haven't tried it, mind, but my gut feeling is that it should be ok.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, Mary's hunch is exactly right.

You can use the same Hot Potatoes quiz in any number of QuizPorts. Of course, each time you use it, you have the option to use the same or different quiz settings that QuizPort offers, such as time limit, score weighting and output format.

If the Hot Potatoes quiz file is in your course files folder then you can share it easily between QuizPorts in the same course. If you are a Moodle admin, you can put the Hot Potatoes quiz file in the Site files folder and share it between QuizPorts in all the courses on that Moodle site. And if you put the quiz file on a server that is accessible via the internet, and enter the "Source file" for the quiz as a url (i.e. an internet address beginning with "http://"), then you can share your Hot Potatoes quiz file with all your Moodle sites in the whole of cyberspace. That last solution probably works best with html files.

The attempts at the quiz are kept separately within the results for each QuizPort, so you needn't worry about attempt scores getting mixed up or lost somehow.

So, go ahead and re-use your Hot Potatoes quizzes for all they're worth. Yay!
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gerald Grow -
I'm sorry to say I've had problems doing this -- using one Hot Potatoes quiz in more than one exercise.

Students often but not always get the "no more attempts allowed" error message on a "re-used" Hot Potatoes quiz.

I have not had time to experiment with this, so all I can do is report it.

Gerald

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Gerald,
what avocation setting are you using on the quiz?

Also, what conditions are you using on the quizees in this unit?

Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
> what avocation setting are you using on the quiz

"avocation" ?! Sorry, that should read ...

What navigation setting are you using on the quiz

by Gerald Grow -
I've always used only the default Moodle navigation bar.

I'm not even sure what the other choices are for.

Gerald