Students not able to view activities in Course

Students not able to view activities in Course

by smrithi puli -
Number of replies: 13

All the users have the same Student role inthe course.

Some of them are able to access the activities inthe course but some are not able to access them. What could be the possible reason ?

Please help. ... This is urgent

Average of ratings: -
In reply to smrithi puli

Re: Students not able to view activities in Course

by Maryel Mendiola -
Hi smrithi puli smile

Do you have separate groups in your settings Course?

sheers
In reply to smrithi puli

by Haidee Foxwell -
Hi Smrithi,

When you say "unable to access activities in the course" do you mean that they can see the activities in the course but have problems opening them? Or can they not see them at all?

Problems with opening activities could be that pop-up-blockers are stopping them and might not be role related.

In reply to Haidee Foxwell

by smrithi puli -

Hi Haidee,

The users are able to see the activities. But when they try to open, they get a message saying that you do not have permissions.

what might be the reason ?

Please help

In reply to smrithi puli

by Haidee Foxwell -
Have you got any groupings in the course? If you have, you may need to add the activities to the grouping which cannot see the activities.

See this page for more information on Groupings.

If this is not the reason, then you may need to explain the problem a little more i.e. which activities?/ what is the error message? etc
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ger Tielemans -
If you allow guest access to your courses, these students see - as guest - the activities - but they are not able to open the activity (red screen).
If that is the case, advise them to enroll..

by smrithi puli -

The errors are different for different activities and  appears for some users only, not for all though all of them have the same participant role.

The errors are:

1. When accessing the quiz,

Error: You need to enrol in this quiz before you can attempt the quiz.

2. When accessing the assignment,

Error: Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View assignment)

3. When accessing the forum,

Error: You do not have permissions to view discussions in this forum.

The biggest problem is though all the users have the same role assigned, how is that they are treated differently.

In reply to smrithi puli

by Ger Tielemans -
I still bet that your students have guest access to the courses and see no need to subscribe with the course-key. (..Yes they did login in Moodle, but not in the courses)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by smrithi puli -

How to check what all roles the users are assigned through the interface in moodle.

The user who is getting this error has participant/student role in the course but still its having the same issue.

One more important point to note is that recreating the course has sorted the issue. But the actual reason is not found out still.

Please help!

In reply to smrithi puli

by smrithi puli -

I have run the rolesdebug.php script and the output is as below. Though the user has the role of participant, it does not reflect in this output.

user = 18739 (Tommy Parsons)
capability = Capabilities/mod/assignment:view ("mod")
context = Module31338 (Activity module: Understanding Your Role)
-
R7 = Authenticated user

System Shell International Leadership Master FLL_HR Essentials_NOR_03SEP2009 Understanding Your Role
R7(N) - - - - -
- - - - - -
- - - - - -
- - - - - -
- - - - - -
- - - - - -

Calculated permission = P
Can do anything = false
Can do this = false
-
Role for visitors = Guest
Role for guest = Guest
Default role for all users = Authenticated user
Default role for users in a course= Participant
Creators role in a new course = Main Learning Designer
Default front page role = ?

CAN anyone tell what is the problem ?

Recreating the course is solving the issues but I want to know the root cause of this issue.

Please help!

In reply to smrithi puli

by smrithi puli -

Hey, the disk space was less due to which the issue has happened is what i am thinking.

However, cleaning up the disk space has not removed the issue.

Can diskspace be the REASON for the issue to happen and how ?

In reply to smrithi puli

by Hugh Abbott -

Smrithi - hello.   I read your thread about your problems with students not being able to do quizes.

I am having the same problem and I wonder if you ever solved your problem?

I enrol my students on a course - and they can see all the resources - but when they try the quiz they get the standard error message: "...you do not currently have permissions etc".

I can work around this ... I can assign the role 'student' to each person enrolled on the course for each quiz.  But this is a very  time consuming.  There must be some way to allow all enrolled students to participate in all quizes - surely there must be ?!!

Anyway did you find out how to do this ?  Would love to find out (I am supposed to be promoting this to teachers in and it's difficult to promote something that is difficult to use).

Thanks in advance - Hugh

Hugh Abbott

In reply to Hugh Abbott

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Hugh. This is very odd behaviour - students if they are enrolled in a course ought by default to be able to access the quiz. What do you mean by " I can assign the role student to each person enrolled on the course for each quiz"? Also - do you have groups in your course? Is your quiz set to separate groups but you don't have groups assigned? Which version of Moodle is it you are using? Have you got it set to guest access as well? (as mentioned earlier on)Just asking questions to try to diagnose an answersmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Hugh Abbott -

Hello Mary, nice to make contact - I have been enjoying some of your vids on youtube.

I added some students to my courses today and I tested their ability to access quizes and all seems fine now.  Somewhere along the line I must have clicked the right setting.

But thanks for your help.  And thanks for all the material you put on youtube and other places.

Best - Hugh