A New Course Format?

A New Course Format?

by Tranquil Earth -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

I am very new to this environment and I am hoping I have posted these questions in the correct Forum, if I haven't, I am very sorry.

I am using a UNIX/LINUX system, with ver. 1.08 (downloaded a week ago) of Moodle, I am not php literate.

I have created an Internet School a few months ago, where students can Enroll and begin Courses Immediately, there are no special times or dates setup (semesters etc.). I guess you would call it an Open format.

How can I setup a Course to accomodate this format? Which type should I choose or would this have to be something very new?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tranquil Earth

Re: A New Course Format?

by Richard Bartz -

Hi!

I also need a Course Format that does not use specific dates.  We have a couple of courses we want to offer as "one-on-one" tutored courses, but with all the students interacting and all the group potential of Moodle. 

The TOPIC format works perfect but I had to hide the Due Dates in the assignments and grade sheets.  The DOWN side is that it also hides due dates from courses that we do as a group. sad.gif

How hard would it be to create an "INTERNET Format" that has all the same things as the Topics Format but has no due dates?

Should this be a feature request?  I see there have been some others who desired the same thing too...

In reply to Richard Bartz

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Why don't you just set your due dates far into the future? 2050, say.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Reiner Watschonek -

That sure is an option, but it doesn't look 'professional' .

I also think there should be a format without due dates. I am not a php expert, but I imagine it shouldn't be to difficult to offer such a format. Or does it go against the moodle idea? I haven't read much about moodle yet, however, it looks like the control related issues are emphatized and 'open' solutions are not really considered.

In reply to Reiner Watschonek

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I am thinking about using Moodle on another site which is not about e-learning as such, more of a community of interest. The functionality in Moodle is useful in that environment - I still want to use forums, choices, surveys, resources, etc, etc. but I want to call courses and teachers something different. How can I do rename everywhere that says 'course' to something else?