Installation ends in blank page, config.php isn't created

Installation ends in blank page, config.php isn't created

by Michael W -
Number of replies: 12

My understanding is the installation is supposed to create a config.php file.  I set up php and mysql on a windows 2003 server running IIS 6.0. I go to the website and the installation pops up, asks for the language, next screen says I should install the gd library for images, next screen is the moodle and moodle data locations, next screen is the database information. I click next and it's blank and the url shows it going back to install.php

What am I missing here? I renamed the config-dist.php to config.php and redid the values within it. But I thought the installation process was supposed to create this file? i've given full permissions to everyone on the folders and in IIS.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael W

Re: Installation ends in blank page, config.php isn't created

by Richard Murphy -

Michael,

I get exactly the same result. I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but the best way to do an installation is with Apache if you are not already dependent on IIS. Jan Dieickx suggested, "A totally different approach would be to install one of the packages Floyd makes ( http://goohio.com/moodle/ )." I used that installation and was able to use Moodle without a hitch in XP. However, I need to stay with IIS because I'm using ASP with a predeveloped ASP application. It looks to me like making Apache serve ASP's is more difficult than making IIS serve PHP's, so that's the direction I'm headed. I'm going to try to first install MySQL stand-alone, then hook up PHPMyAdmin to create the moodle database, then invoke Moodle. I'll let you know if it works. RM

In reply to Michael W

by Jon Shannon -
I'm experiencing the exact same problem, except I'm using Linux WS3, Apache, MySQL, etc.   If I get it figured out, I'll post back here.
In reply to Michael W

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Firstly check your web server logs (your Apache error logs or your event logs on windows - check for errors).

Michael - is this the *full* version of PHP? If you downloaded the windows installer version it's no good, you need the big version. There are some fairly detailed instructions on how to install PHP with IIS on this site somewhere (sorry - this stuff has moved recently, so you'll need to dig).
In reply to Michael W

by Allen Koay -

I having same issue on Windows 2000 server SP4.

I was downloading the PHP non-installer version. it was working well.

Just that it fails to create config.php at the end of installation process.

any ideas how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance

In reply to Michael W

by Colin H -

Very similar here too, Michael. I'm a first-timer, using W2K Advanced Server with SP3, IIS5, PHP 5.0.2, MySQL 4.0.21 and Moodle 1.4.1. After the create database step, all I got was a blank page and no config.php file created. I then copied the config-dist.php file and edited it to create the config.php file. Now both install.php and index.php load only a blank page in IE, with no errors.

I have checked the IIS logs and nothing looks evident there. PHP runs phpinfo with no problems, and I have run MySQL and created the Moodle database there. The relevant parts of my config.php are as follows:

$CFG->dbtype = 'mysql'; // mysql or postgres7 (for now)

$CFG->dbhost = 'localhost'; // eg localhost or db.isp.com

$CFG->dbname = 'moodle'; // database name, eg moodle

$CFG->dbuser = 'moodleuser'; // your database username

$CFG->dbpass = 'password'; // your database password

$CFG->prefix = 'mdl_'; // Prefix to use for all table names

$CFG->dbpersist = false; // Should database connections be reused?

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://localhost/moodle';

$CFG->dirroot = 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodle';

$CFG->dataroot = 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\moodledata';

$CFG->directorypermissions = 0777;

$CFG->admin = 'admin';

if (file_exists("$CFG->dirroot/lib/setup.php")) { // Do not edit

include_once("$CFG->dirroot/lib/setup.php");

} else {

if ($CFG->dirroot == dirname(__FILE__)) {

echo "<p>Could not find this file: $CFG->dirroot/lib/setup.php</p>";

echo "<p>Are you sure all your files have been uploaded?</p>";

} else {

echo "<p>Error detected in config.php</p>";

echo "<p>Error in: \$CFG->dirroot = '$CFG->dirroot';</p>";

echo "<p>Try this: \$CFG->dirroot = '".dirname(__FILE__)."';</p>";

}

die;

}

Any thoughts for a newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In reply to Colin H

by Colin H -

Well, I figured out that the install.php page will be blank if config.php already exists, because the install script first checks for the existence of config.php. I renamed config.php and tried the install again, but it still fails at the same point - no config.php file is created, and no error messages are generated.

My web searches over the past couple of hours reveal that this "blank page" issue is showing up with other php apps as well, so maybe it's php-related???

In reply to Colin H

by Allen Koay -

Emm........ that what in my mind also.

Tested with Easy PHP work without any issue.

Currently try to reinstall with PHP 4.3.9.

Will let ur guys know when I finish it.

In reply to Allen Koay

by Keith Burnett -
Hello

Similar problems. Just another data point.

I've installed Moodle on hosted Web server space (Red Hat)

Apache 2.0.46
php 4.3.2
MySql 3.23.58
GD 2.0.12

install.php runs fine and creates tables including a pile of upgrades.
ended up with an apparently working Moodle except for the 'black square' profile images and a blank screen when I go to admin/variables

the .htaccess does not appear to make any difference

Any workrounds appreciated

I may try an older Moodle

Cheers
In reply to Allen Koay

by Allen Koay -

Dear All,

It seem that the problem it is with PHP5.

Thus I switch to PHP 4 installer, everythings seems working fine just that graphic can't be display. I had enable php_gd2.dll in php.ini and copy the file to system32 but it stills fails to display any graphic.

Any idea how to resolve this sad 

In reply to Allen Koay

by Allen Koay -

Tested both ISAIP and CGI with PHP 4.3.9, all seems having same result.

This time it shown file not found. But I check the physical file is there just that the moodle unable to display it. Emm....... Any suggestions.....

Thanks in advance

In reply to Michael W

by Tim Geyer -
I was experiencing the same problem on my RH9 installation, it turns out that all I had to do was install a few more web server packages to allow MySQL to talk to Apache. The packages were, as I remember, all related to PHP and MySQL. Specifically there were four of them, one being actually called php_mysql.Sorry for the vagarity here but I fixed this problem this afternoon and forgot to write the names of the packages I installed. I went to add/remove software in RH9 and selected details from the web server entry and added four packages that dealt with php and mysql working together. I ran through the install pages again and everything worked fine. I will post the packages tomorrow when I get back to the machine.