HTML editor or standard web forms?

HTML editor or standard web forms?

by Pete Jones -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

We're having a few problems with our students submitting writing assignments on the html editor (see my previous post), and so I was wondering whether we should just set the profiles of our students to use the standard web form when submitting work.

Our students only have to submit pieces of writing; they don't need it to look nice.

We're using the online text assignments, and our teachers use the html editor to provide feedback on the students' writing.

Are there any disadvantages to using the standard web forms, and/or what's the Moodle auto format and Markdown format?

Thanks.

Pete 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pete Jones

Re: HTML editor or standard web forms?

by Mauno Korpelainen -

If your students and teachers need only plain text or if they can use html it's ok to disable editor from all users from site administration.

If some of them need plugins http://docs.moodle.org/en/HTML_editor for inserting images, tables, links, smileys, changing fonts, alignment or colors etc don't disable editor site wide - tell students how to do it from their Profile themselves.

The behaviour you explained in previous post is not normal if students just write text, maybe you should check first where exactly did that student have those freezing problems. Is the main problem in non functional spell checker? What happened? The reason is sometimes in extra (browser) plugins or malware, network connection, office programs (if you paste long texts that may have macros, event handlers or scripts "hidden"), keyboard itself or sometimes students can do odd things themselves without any logical explanation. mixed

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Pete Jones -

Thanks Mauno.

I'm putting some students on the standard web forms to see if that works better for us/them.

We need html editor for some users so I can't disable it site wide.

Pete

In reply to Pete Jones

by Christian Wachter -
Is there any possibility, to define standard web forms as default editor and HTML editor optionally?
Thus we could avoid many problems with the combination of predefined HTML editor and Internet Explorer.
Christian

In reply to Christian Wachter

by Pete Jones -

I think this has to done on a user by user basis, i.e. you can set a user's profile to use standard web forms or hTML editor.

Pete