Remote access to Moodle computer

Remote access to Moodle computer

David Gilbert -
Number of replies: 10
I have set up moodle on a machine, with no problems the system works perfectly on local machine via Localhost. I am using Easyphp.  When I try to run Moodle over a network  entering the IP address of the machine with Moodle on, I get moodle front page, but all the icons are missing.  In addition if I click on any link  I am not able to follow that link even though it seems to be going to the correct location.  I have set permissions on remote Moodle machine to allow all access to everything, still no joy.  I am using MS Win2000 on both machines.
I want to allow a class of students to access Moodle on my machine via a TCPIP network.
Help please.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Gilbert

Re: Remote access to Moodle computer

Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Are you absolutly certain that the graphics files on your system are referred to using a web address?. I have seen examples where a site works OK locally because some graphics are being referred to as file://c://mydir/mygif.gif
(You can confirm this in your bowser using View/source or similar command)

Just a thought

Gustav W Delius -
You need to change $CFG->wwwroot in your config.php to point to the IP address of the machine rather than to localhost.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Grant Potter -
I am experiencing the same problem.  When I change $CFG->wwwroot to my host's IP it then attaches the the IP to my address when I am browsing at the server and I get

localhost/192.168.1.1/admin/index.php not found at this server

and I cannot access Moodle.

If I leave $CFG ''  I can access Moodle at the server.

In both of these situations I cannot access Moodle over the LAN by typing in 192.168.1.1 in my browser.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!
-Grant

Jean-Claude Siegrist -
Try to activate your Web proxy server (proxy.site.com + port number). I made this on my Mac and it works.
In reply to Jean-Claude Siegrist

A.G. Pate -
Jean-Claude, I'm on a Mac and a recent Moodle convert! I'm running Mac OS X (10.2.3) Server, mySQL and php (the one that comes pre-installed in OS X Server).

When I set the config file to 10.0.0.30, I can access Moodle (which is sitting on a remote server in my living room) and everything works fine. If, however, I change the config file to 80.xxx.xxx.xx, I can't get access - but I CAN get access if I try it from a computer outwith my own little LAN.

What I don't know how to do is to activate a Web proxy server (blush) or anything else that will give me access both from within and outwith my LAN. Suggestions, comments, mocking responses or a good old-fashioned slap in the head would be appreciated!
In reply to A.G. Pate

Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Graeme,

Is there a broadband or ADSL router involved here? Some have problems wrapping back the external IP address. This is quite tricky to solve, so no slap required.
In reply to Howard Miller

A.G. Pate -
Yes, there is an ADSL router involved here. (Aren't you a clever clogs!) - grin. I have my phone line (b/band) (80.177.xxx.xx) which connects to my modem/ADSL router which then connects into my server (10.0.0.30). From there, I have several computers all of which have an address of 10.0.0.x. (where x is less than 15). If I set up the config.php in moodle to 10.0.0.30, it's great - works like a charm - when I'm within my little LAN. It won't work for anyone else on the planet though. சிரி If I set up the config.php in moodle to 80.177.xxx.xx, it's great - works like a charm - when I'm outside my little LAN. It won't work for me inside the LAN (ie at 10.0.0.6). I'm not sure if that clears things up or muddles things some more. All I know is that I can usually access my webpages without any problem from within my LAN by going to 10.0.0.30 in IE (or whatever). When I do this PHP works like a charm - no problems at all. I think the problem has to do with the fact that that darned config.php file keeps telling it go to 80.177.xxx - if only I could have TWO config.php files ... சிரி Any suggestions, comments or polite insults at my dense-ness would be appreciated. மின்னக்கூடிய
In reply to A.G. Pate

Pietro Tamburrano -
I have the same problem on my server and i have installed moodle in two different directory. The database is the same but the config files is different.

If I connect to moodle from external IP I use the direcory /moodlerem otherwise I use /moodle.

It is OK . But I have some problems with graphical files that are stored with path.

If you have found another solution i hope you want tell me.

Excuse for bad English.

Ciao.