gnashing of teeth

gnashing of teeth

by Richard Murphy -
Number of replies: 6

I am boiling with frustration and gnashing my teeth.

Win2000 server with IIS

I can use the MySQL Administrator to get a mysql>, but apparently I need a shell> in order to create a database. Like, shell> CREATE DATABASE moodle

How the hell do you get a shell>

Growllll, RM

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Murphy

Re: gnashing of teeth

by Samuli Karevaara -
Richard,

At least with my test setup (WinXP, MySQL 4.1.3b, MySQL Administrator 1.0.8) I can create a database with the MySQL Administrator this way:

- Go to "Catalogs" on the upper right box
- Right-click empty space in the "Schemata" box
- Select "Create New Scheme"

I'm not sure if this works only because I'm running the MySQL Administrator directly on the server (localhost). For me I also have a "MySQL Shell" access: from under the "Tools" menu, select "MySQL Command Line Client".

Can you see (any of) these selections?
In reply to Richard Murphy

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you have

mysql>

then you are into the mysql client ad you can type commands, such as CREATE DATABASE. Is that what you mean?

If not, and to spell it out...

Do Start=>Run=>command (type command in the box, press Ok)
\mysql\bin\mysql -u root -p

type in your mysql root password (or forget the -p if you didn't set it), and that should be you.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The Windows NT/2K/XP equivalent to the Unix shell is a program called

cmd.exe

This is a command interpreter in the same way that Unix/Linux systems use sh, bash or similar. Until Windows NT came out the native mode for Windows operating systems was to run with a command interpreter and the whole GUI/windows thing was simply a layer on top of a command line system.

Although using a commandline is a significant learning curve it can allow you to get access to functionality that is hard to get at otherwise.

p.s. command.com is an alternative shell provided with windows but you should probably stick to cmd.exe

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Also, look in 'Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt'. That will bring up the shell.