Moodle and Lang-8.com

Moodle and Lang-8.com

by Mark Grace -
Number of replies: 6
I have enjoyed learning how to use moodle and am currently slowly making an online course for my students... The Modules I've added have really enhanced many opportunities for learning and assessments.

Recently I've discovered Lang-8.com.. A site for language learners.. The great thing is that native speakers edit your work and give you corrections. The tool used to edit work is really good and I wish I could incorporate that type of tool into moodle....

Maybe one day soon smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Grace

Re: Moodle and Lang-8.com

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mark. I just took a look at Lang-8 although I haven't made an account, so I was wondering - how does the editing tool work? What exactly does it do that you can't do in Moodle when marking work with the online text assignment?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Mark,

I went and had a look at Lang-8.com, and though it's a nice idea, I wonder how it can work for English when there are so many more people wanting to learn English than there are English speakers wanting to learn other languages.

I'm also a bit suspicious of sites which don't explain who they are, but you can read this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lang-8 to find out this one.

Cheers,
Glenys

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mark Grace -
I think using an editing tool on Big essays would be very time consuming...
But for beginners especially ESL learners, the editing tool would be fantastic.
I teach japanese so to be able to make many corrections is necessary.. Hence Lang-8 editing tool is something I would love to use in moodle

When a native speaker of a language writes an essay.. they only need feed back but a beginner needs more than just feed back.
In reply to Mark Grace

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
HI Mark. But you can do this by setting the online text assignment to "comment inline" and then using Moodle's editor to correct/add comments to the students' work. Then you can use all the features we have up here in the html editor(cross out/highlight/comment/change colour etc) directly onto students' work)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Grace -
If your learning a language Lang-8 is an awesome tool...
You should try it out...

This youtube clip shows how the editing tool works smile