IIS 7.0 /PHP with moodle - Large Files won't upload

IIS 7.0 /PHP with moodle - Large Files won't upload

by John Puddifoot -
Number of replies: 7
Hi, I'm having real problems with the upload of larg-ish (above 20Mb) files to our server.

I'm pretty certain everything that should be set to be big has been set including:

php.ini:
upload_max_filesize = 50M
post_max_size = 55M
max_execution_time =7200
memory_limit = 256M
max_input_time = -1

FastCGI:
fullPath="C:\PHP\php-cgi.exe"
idleTimeout="3600"
activityTimeout="3600"
requestTimeout="3600"
instanceMaxRequests="10000"

web.config:
system.webServer/security/requestFiltering
requestLimits > maxallowedContentLength = 1000000

system.web/httpRuntime
maxrequestlength = 100000000
executiontimeout = 01:00:00

Moodle has picked up the maximum limit set in the php.ini file, however requests of over 20Mb return a 404 error (page not found).

It seems to be a timeout issue, because I have managed to upload a 25Mb file (although not a 38Mb file) whilst another user cannot upload anything larger than 18Mb.

Any help very, very gratefully received!!!

Thanks

John
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Puddifoot

Re: IIS 7.0 /PHP with moodle - Large Files won't upload

by Debabrata Mandal -
I am facing the same problem.dead
In reply to Debabrata Mandal

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
if you're using fastcgi - increase the fastcgi timeout value to something really high and see if that works!
In reply to John Puddifoot

by Dick Combeer -

I've set all the PHP and FastCGI settings exactly as specified and as shown in various other posts. I can upload files up to 30 mb, any bigger than that, 404 error.

So the problem is not those variables.

But what is it?

I presume discussions of web.config and .htaccess should not be relevant under Windows?

Sadly this is a functional limitation in that an Art course could easily have student files larger than 30 mb.

In reply to Dick Combeer

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
You are right, web.config and .htaccess are not relevant. Well, I susect that is as far as you can go with Moodle, there has to be some setting in the server that is limiting the upload size. And that reaches the end of my contribution here I am afraid, sorry. I am not all that au fait with IIS and I really do not want to be... sad but true..But here is a blog that might help. And another one, but this is for IIS 6 however it may be the same thing.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Dick Combeer -

Hi Colin. This post you suggested http://www.cyprich.com/2008/06/19/fixing-file-upload-size-limit-in-iis-7/ was the key. Who would believe the default file size limit in IIS 7 is 30 mb? Or that to get round it you do actually change (add) a setting

<security>
   <requestFiltering>
    <requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength="250000000" />
   </requestFiltering>
</security>

in the <system.webServer> section of the file web.config of the appropriate web site? wow.

Anyway, much much appreciated. I can now use Moodle version 1.95 exactly as is for another three years smile

regards,

Dick Combeer