Learner-generated quiz questions: research pointers wanted

Learner-generated quiz questions: research pointers wanted

by Eoin Campbell -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I am researching the use of learner-generated quiz questions, and have used Moodle 1.9 to enable learners create their own questions, and then do the quizzes compiled from a whole classes' questions.

I am interested in any research people might be aware of on this topic, either using Moodle or any other quiz system.

I have identified the papers below, but if anyone is aware of other research, I would be grateful for any pointers.
I am particularly interested in how such exercises are organised (in- or out-of-class, individual or group work, evaluation, etc.)

References:

Barak, M., & Rafaeli, S. (2004). On-line question-posing and peer-assessment as means for web-based knowledge sharing in learning. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 61(1), 84-103.

Denny, P., Luxton-Reilly, A., & Hamer, J. (2008, 22-25 January). The PeerWise system of student contributed assessment questions. Paper presented at the Tenth Australasian Computing Education Conference (ACE2008), Wollongong, Australia.

Kavaliauskiene, G. (2003). Learner Generated Quizzes. Teaching English with Technology, 3(3).

Yu, F. Y., Liu, Y. H., & Chan, T. W. (2005). A web-based learning system for question-posing and peer assessment. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 42(4), 337-348.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eoin Campbell

Re: Learner-generated quiz questions: research pointers wanted

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't know of any research.

But it terms of Moodle functionality, look at the question creation module that Jamie Pratt created. You can find it in the Modules and Plugins database.