Moodle documentation: Moodle Overview

Moodle documentation: Moodle Overview

by Becky Morton -
Number of replies: 3
I couldn't find anything specific enough for my faculty to learn how to use Moodle. My instructors need EXACT, step-by step instructions. So, I wrote this for brand new faculty users to begin to learn how to use Moodle. It covers the VERY basic concepts of Moodle like how to log in, how to add students to a class and how to write a very simple quiz using Multiple Choice, True/False, and Short Answer.

Our school (Flint Hills Technical College) is requiring instructors to do their pre and post tests in Moodle to assist calculating in student knowledge gains through the course of their education. So the material will reference Pre/Post Tests.

I am currently working on a "Basic Moodle" instruction class and I'll post it once it's done.

I love constructive feedback, so let me know if I have anything blatantly wrong or need to change some wording!

Pre/Post Test Moodle
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Becky Morton

Re: Moodle documentation: Moodle Overview

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Wow Beckysmile You've done a very conscientious job there! I love setting things out step by step for beginners. I had a read of your document- just a few things came to mind...
  • are all your teachers course creators?Because if not, they won't see that screenshot (where it says add a new course) to get to their courses and it might just confuse them.
  • Likewise -do they already know about LAMs or SCORM? If so, fine; if not, I'd just gloss over it really unless they are going to be using those formats a lot. (you don't want information overload at such an early stage)
  • In the quiz, it might be useful to suggest that rather than merely naming their questions 01 etc, they could add a descriptive title to it, as a) question 01 might not always be question 1 but more importantly b) if they make loads of quizzes they could potentially have lots of previously made questions named 01 to choose from.
Have you had a look at the Moodle docs? There is some basic stuff in there. Also might be worth getting your college library to stock one of the basic step by step Moodle books.
In reply to Becky Morton

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Becky,

Nice work. I like the approach. I had to do something similar with whole-school training. I developed a series of 1-minute Moodles - simple instructions (do this, then do that) and 1 page A4 only. I'd post them if the limit was greater than 100kb (Come on Moodle, lift the limit) - failing that, they should be here.

Hope that helps,

Paul
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Becky Morton

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Becky,
Interesting and if it works for teachers, then that is great. I liked the simple format and the screen shots were readable for the granular, by the numbers types.

I myself would put links to MoodleDocs or at least a page reference once in a while. Have you considered redirecting your help pages to some of your own instead of the stock Moodle ones?

Quiz and the Adding Questions to the Pre/Post Test needs improvement. If multiple teachers are using the same category you will have academic back biting in short order.
*First you need to talk about categories of questions.
*Question title needs some careful consideration. "Question 10" is not a good idea, especially if 3 people in the department add that to the same question category and you are asked to vet the test against the Lesson Plan smile

It mentioned the shuffle question feature and how it did not relate to random question. The shuffle feature needs mentioning in the re-ordering section.

Well my significant other says I must switch my focus.

Best Chris

(Edited by Helen Foster to remove MS Word formatting - original submission Thursday, 20 August 2009, 06:01 AM)