Moodle documentation: Categories "DB" and "Database"

Moodle documentation: Categories "DB" and "Database"

by Frank Ralf -
Number of replies: 15
I just noticed that there are two different categories relating to databases in Moodle Docs:

Category:DB
Category:Database

I suppose the first relates to Moodle's own database and the second to the Database activity.

This already leads regularly to confusion in the Database forum. So shouldn't these categories be named more precisely for better disambiguation (see Database FAQ?

Frank

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Ralf

Re: Moodle documentation: Categories "DB" and "Database"

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yup,

agree. I fact some hours ago, when adding categories to some development pages I discovered that too (by introducing by mistake the "Category:Database" category to one article (and reverting it).

More yet, there is one new Development:Database page that is related to the Category:DB thing and not to the activity.

In fact, the "database" is, in real life, the "data" module, hehe. Not sure why we have ended with that mix of names (it's the only exception where the "internal" activity name isn't the "official" activity name, afaik.

Not sure if renaming "DB" to "Development DB" or so is a good idea, in the past I've used to put all the db-development related pages under the Category:XMLDB category, perhaps we could agree about to put all the db-development under that umbrella.

But we should solve that confusion in some way, agree. +1

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
How about Category:Database module for the activity module and Category:Database for the Moodle database?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I like this solution too.

If there are any pages people accidentally get to when looking for database module (and get confused with all this SQL mumbo-jumbo), maybe a 'this is not about the database module, try here instead if you want that' explanation box could be added to the top of those pages? Could also be a template if required in multiple locations.

--sam
In reply to Helen Foster

by Frank Ralf -
I prefer [Category:Database activity] over [Database module] as it sounds even less technical.

And for the technical part I would suggest [Category:Moodle database].

IMO switching [Category:DB] to [Category:Database] will only add to the confusion.

Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Frank Ralf -
An even more radical approach would be to rename the "Database activity" altogether. Wouldn't "Lexicon" be a term which teachers could better relate to? (After all, "Database" is a technical term. We could keep that for the Moodle database.) But perhaps that would overlap with the "Glossary activity".

Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I thought about Category:Database activity, but decided Category:Database module was better based on the definition of the word 'activity' in our glossary of common terms. Also, the forum for discussions about it is called the Database module forum.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Helen - I thought I saw that for Moodle 2.0 we will be referring to modules as activity modules. Not sure how this might factor into the current discussion but besides making it longer what would be wrong with Category:Database activity module? Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Helen Foster -
Good point Anthony, about Moodle 2.0. Can we all agree on Category:Database activity module? Perhaps I'll rename the forum on moodle.org too.

Chris, thanks for not taking these things too seriously and for making us laugh. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
You are welcome. It is serious stuff. Which Greek said it was all about the beginnings? It is hard redefining the beginning after things have sort of matured.

Big Corps duke it out in the courts for years over a name. Good thing we are all friends and adaptable. Or is that another example of the social constructionist group conscientiousness in action? big grin

In reply to Chris Collman

Greeks for geeks

by Frank Ralf -

I don't want to open a Pandora's box here, but I think giving things a clear and self-explanatory label is in fact a matter of usability.

I agree that this might be a labour of Hercules, especially with a system that's long in use (Microsoft did that once when starting referring to "directories" as "folders" with the introduction of Windows 95, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directory_(file_systems)), and could very well prove to be a Sisyphean task. But nonetheless one shouldn't shy away from the task.

"Thus we may perhaps most easily comprehend that to which a thing is related, when a name does not exist, if, from that which has a name, we derive a new name, and apply it to that with which the first is reciprocally connected, ..."
Aristotle
"The Categories", Part 2 Chapter 7

Cheers,
Frank wink

In reply to Frank Ralf

by Olli Savolainen -
+1 for Database module. How about Relational Database or SQL database for the other one?
In reply to Frank Ralf

Re: Categories "DB" and "Database" & Humor?

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Wow!
Do you see Olli why I like to let The Developers sort this stuff out? big grin

Lexicon might work but is Modules and Plugins really a lexicon? I see, there is a database that is really part of a underlying database. Which one gets called simply "the database"?

I just opened this thread in my email after mowing my lawn, seeing what I have ignored. Whew. Go Frank, go Eloy, go Helen, go Sam, go Ollie and peace always Anthony,

Thanks all for the heavy lifting (IMO) cool
Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Categories "DB" and "Database" & Humor?

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Chris,

This one's for you: wink

"Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit."
Aristotle

Cheers,
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Helen Foster -
Hi everyone,

Just to let you know, I've finally got around to renaming and recategorising documentation pages from 'Database module' to Database activity module and have renamed the Using Moodle forum accordingly too.

I've redirected Category:Database to Category:DB whilst we decide which is better, Database or DB, for categorising documentation pages about the Moodle database. Any comments?