Why does my Grader Report look different?

Why does my Grader Report look different?

by Aaron Stetter -
Number of replies: 12

Our school is trying to get Moodle set up before classes begin in just over a week (this is my baby), and I'm currently trying to learn how to set up the gradebook.  I've read Moodle docs and this forum, as well as watched Youtube videos on gradebook setup, and everyone's gradebook looks different than mine.  We have version 1.9.5+ hosted at an outside company.

My grader report does not have the links at the top of the page for "show column averages", "show groups", and "show ranges".

I'm also trying to learn how to set up weighted scores but the pictures that are in the instructions I'm reading all look different than my screen.  Very frustrating.  Does anyone have an idea of what my issue might be?  Thanks in advance.

P.S.  If it will help, I will post a screen shot of my grader report if someone will tell me how to do it.

In reply to Aaron Stetter

Re: Why does my Grader Report look different?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. First of all, go to site administration>grades>general settings and you can set the defaults for your gradebook there. For example you can choose to have tabs or a dropdown menu for your gradebook.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Aaron Stetter -
Thanks for your reply.  I changed that setting to show both tabs and drop down, but it still does not show the links listed above (show ranges, etc.)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Could you post a screenshot? I'm not sure where you are looking. If you click on my preferences you can then set show column averages/show ranges etc to yes and they will show in your gradebook.

EDIT: I think you might be looking at a screenshot of a pre-1.9.5 gradebook which looks different from a 1.9.5 one. This is my 1.9.5 screenshot:

Attachment graderreport.png
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nicolas Connault -
Thanks for your help, Mary. Just be mindful that the tabs you are showing in your screenshot are also optional in 1.9.5+, and are actually switched off by default in favour of the old dropdown menu.

Regarding the original post, another reason why the gradebook may look different than the screenshots found in various places on the Internet is precisely because:
  1. The look of the grader report can be highly customised
  2. Older versions looked a fair bit different
  3. Screenshots are not updated when new versions come out smile

by Elena Ivanova -
Aaron, just in case, Show Ranges is not a link but a row at the bottom of the Grader report. (Not sure which documentation you are looking at, sorry)
To see those rows, go to My Preferences tab in the gradebook and review "Show/hide toggles area", where you can set 'Show column averages' and "Show ranges" to Yes.

As Mary mentioned, you can change defaults for the whole installation via administration>grades. Those particular ones are located in administration>grades>report settings>grader report.

And, yes, screenshot would be nice big grin. You can just attach it to your forum post when you click Reply link (there is a Browse button at the bottom of that screen)
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Aaron Stetter -

Thanks everyone for your help.  Here are some rude screen shots of what I'm talking about.  The area I've circled in red in particular.  I don't know if the things I'm missing even make any difference, maybe I don't need them.

Here is the screenshot of another gradebook I saw:

Attachment Capture1.JPG

by Aaron Stetter -
And here is what my gradebook looks like:
Attachment Capture2.JPG

by Elena Ivanova -
Your gradebook is indeed 1.9.5, and the other screenshot if for previous 1.9 versions. They are not really applicable to you, since there had been drastic changes in 1.9.5 (version had been released only recently, thus most probably documentation is not yet updated)
You can glance at our documentation (for basic steps) but keep in mind that we also tailored gradebook to our needs.
So, I guess, just continue to ask questions here cool

by Paul Ortman -
In 1.9.5+ those icons and the viewing settings they affect were moved into the "My preferences" tab.
In reply to Paul Ortman

by Aaron Stetter -
I have the settings in the "My preferences" tab set to show those particular icons but they are still not visible.  If they will not be necessary for the daily use and maintenance of our Moodle, it's not a big deal.  I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about the system.

by Nicolas Connault -
You will never see the links you circled in red from the previous versions, they have been completely taken out.

However, you will see the "Column averages" and "Ranges" because these are extra rows in the report. You will also see the other icons, but only when you turn editing on (big button at the top right of the report, if you have the right permissions).
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Ne Nashev -
Can You explain why this switches was moved away from they managed table into some separated page, that haven't any visible linking with this report and haven't visual iconic hints like it was there?