Manual Marking

Manual Marking

by Val Evans -
Number of replies: 11

I am setting up a recognition program and have set up three quizzes:

1. Self-Evaluation
  2. Evidence Planner
  3. Record of Outcome

For Quiz 1 and 2 I want the student to do - it really is there to assist them through the recognition process - but for Quiz 3 I want the teacher to actually manually mark the entire quiz as it really represents a final result table which is an auditable document. When I go in as the teacher, it doesn't seem to let me mark anything if it hasn't been attempted by the student, and I now notice that only essay questions can be manually marked. I have set up the Record of Outcome with mainly multiple choice questions.

I may be using the wrong module for this, but it seemed a fairly simplistic way of setting it all up. Can anyone advise the best way forward please?

Many thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Val Evans

Re: Manual Marking

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Val,

I have no idea what you are trying to do. The following terms may be self-evident to you, but definitions might help : "recognition program", "recognition process", "Evidence Planner", "Record of Outcome"...

The following sentence does not make sense (to me) : "For Quiz 1 and 2 I want the student to do - it really is there to assist them through the recognition process - but for Quiz 3 I want the teacher to actually manually mark the entire quiz as it really represents a final result table which is an auditable document."

That sentence is too long, too complicated and there seems to be something missing from the beginning. What do you want the students to do?

"When I go in as the teacher, it doesn't seem to let me mark anything if it hasn't been attempted by the student,..." That is pretty obvious; how can the teacher mark anything that has not been attempted by the student? Thinking in terms of the old paper and pen technology, how might a teacher mark a paper which a student has not handed in?

Please can you rewrite your post so that it can be understood by people like me who have a "simplistic way" of understanding? surprise

Thanks

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Val Evans -

WOW Joseph - I apologise for using unfamiliar terms and language that isn't 'simple' enough. I have become immersed in my project and its terminology. I will try again.

All I want to do is manually record the final results for students who apply for recognition of prior learning. Recognition of Prior Learning is an assessment pathway that students may undertake if they feel they have enough experience and qualifications to give them partial or full credit in another qualification.

The main assessment process is through the production of an evidence portfolio, a competency conversation with the teacher/assessor, and possibly undertaking a practical task. 

The quizzes I have set up for them are not graded. Quiz 1 which is a Self-Evaluation asks them to rate their competence in specific tasks. Quiz 2 assists them in identifying different types of evidence they may have to prove their competence in specific tasks.

I have set Quiz 3 up as a final result sheet which the teacher uses to enter the results of different components of the recognition process and the overall result. It is a form really which the teacher completes NOT the student. The students will see their results, but this is not a quiz for them to attempt.

So, I am guessing from your response that using the Quiz for the final result sheet is probably not the right choice as the student will NOT attempt it first. Perhaps I should just let the teacher upload a form, or can you suggest another way that the teacher can use to manually grade students?

In reply to Val Evans

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Could you not just set up manual grades in the gradebook and have the teachers enter them directly there?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Val Evans -

That sounds like a reasonable way around it Mary. My lack of knowledge of Moodle is making it difficult for me to see options so I am extremely grateful for people such as yourself offering ideassmile

As an aside Mary, you will remember my hyperlink problem. Well, unbelievable as this sounds, when I realised I could enlarge my html edit screen, I could hyperlink as much as I wanted. I just couldn't do it without enlarging - weird but problem solvedthoughtful

In reply to Val Evans

by Cristina Berisso -

Hello Val,

If you have Moodle version 1.9, go to "Grades", and select "Edit Categories and Items" from the drop-down menu. Then click on "add a grade item" (bottom of the screen) for the manual grade that you want to include in the grade-book.

I use several of these in my courses (for extra credit, grades for off-line activities, final grade for the class, attendance, standard paper and pencil tests, etc.)

In reply to Cristina Berisso

by Val Evans -

Thanks Christina - I need to study the whole Gradebook component more and gain a better understanding of it.

As Joseph noted earlier, terminology can often confuse and even detract - I associated gradebooks with primary/early childhood schools and didn't initially see the relevance to my project. I will rectify that nowthoughtful

In reply to Val Evans

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Val,

Thanks for clarifying (and thanks to the other moodlers who answered with positive suggestionssmile).

***Quiz 1 which is a Self-Evaluation asks them to rate their competence in specific tasks. Quiz 2 assists them in identifying different types of evidence they may have to prove their competence in specific tasks.

I still cannot visualize what those 2 "quizzes" would look like. For non-graded "quizzes" you might envisage using a survey-like activity. There are 2 such modules, which are not yet part of regular Moodle distribution, but which can easily be installed by your admin (or yourself if you have admin rights to your Moodle site). You will find them in the Modules and Plugins page : Feedback and Questionnaire. Both modules have an active forum: Feedback and Questionnaire module.

It would really help us understand your problem if you would post here some sample "questions" from your quizzes 1 and 2. As for your "quiz 3", way to go is the gradebook, as has been suggested.

All the best,

Joseph

In reply to Val Evans

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Val,
you are on the way with your 3 Quiz. For your third Quiz you have only 2 little things to do to make it act as you want:

1 - Give it a password and keep it secret from your students
2 - As teacher Login as student.

That way you will see only the results of the 2 first quiz of that particular student ( that will be easier for you to review only that student answers and grades ) and when you will try the third quiz with the appropriate password you will be allowed to enter the results of differents components of the recognition process and the overall result will be graded for that particular student.
With appropriate Quiz 3 setting the student will be able to see the results of the quiz, ie wich components have been reconized by the teacher and those that are'nt.

Repeat that Login as for each student to evaluate.

I use that feature of the quiz to give many detailled feedback and grades to my students for complex activities that use evaluation grids. Each element of the grid is graded and commented with a simple Quiz wink

I hope it may help,

Salutations from Québec,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Interesting solution Bernard!smile But you will need to ensure that you, as teacher, have the "log in as" permission as I'm not sure it's automatic for teachers. ( I haven't gone to check though, but it would be easy to set up)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Rézeau -
Actually on our university moodle site, the permission for teachers to "log in as students" has beeen disabled. I regret this decision on practical grounds but approve it on ethical grounds.
Joseph
In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Val Evans -

Thanks for this suggestion Bernard - gee, so much to learn! I will try it out.

Thank you everyone for being so helpful - very much appreciated.

Val