user access

user access

by ivan breziansky -
Number of replies: 13
Hi,

1. when i add any block as a admin and assign roles to it for student, when i log off i can see the block on a welcome screen, but when i login as a student, i dont see it there...

2. I cant add anything to middle part of the screen under user account. When i add activity/resurce under admin and give them student role, i dont se them under student account..

Please let me know what am i doing wrong, because for some reasoon i have the edit button even under the user account and i already checked all relevant locations- user permissions, front page roles.

Thank you
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to ivan breziansky

Re: user access

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Are you talking about the front page still? When you add a block you don't need to assign roles to the actual block; it should appear on the screen for other users. Do you have a link to the front page of your Moodle? That might be helpful. What do your users see when they access it? If you want to message me a login I will take a look for you and see what the problem might be -sometimes it is quicker than explaining in forums.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ivan breziansky -
Hi Mary,
thank you for your offer. I would appreciate if you can find some time and have a look. If we can have a chat over skype or msn, i would give you the address and relevant login for you. Please let me know...
msn: ivanfingers@hotmail.com

by ivan breziansky -
Hi Mary,

just wanted to check if you are around and would be able to find few minutes.. as mentioned earlier..

Thank you.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Ivan. If you want to DM me your login I will take a look this morning - if I can't see anything immediately obvious we could talk then to try to solve it (click on my name and send me a message)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ivan breziansky -
sent

by Mary Cooch -
OK Ivan - I have had a look and am posting here for others to make suggestions - a bit hard at first as I don't speak your language but I just compared with a Moodle of mine and worked out what was what.
Problem: as admin you can see everything ok
As a student logged in you cannot see the topic section AND have the rights to edit the front page.
As a student I can see the blocks so I don't think that is a problem
If you want students to be able to see site news you have to set the default front page role to "student" - you have it set to "none" which is correct most of the time.
You do not have any students assigned globally.
Your default role for the site is authenticated user.
You do not have any front page roles set and yet the student account still gets the editing button - but cannot see the topic section (which is enabled in front page settings) There are no eyes shut in the topic section.
I can't immediately see that you have altered any permissions -have you altered any permissions in the actual student role?

I need to get up and do some work of my own now but I will keep thinking and let's see what others can come up with over the next few hourssmile

In the meantime - here is a suggestion - create a new user and try your front page out on them.
Delete the wiki resource and then go to the front page settings and take the tick out of "include a topic section". Then - put the tick back again and try adding a resource again - and see if the new student can see it. ( in other words, delete it and start again!)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by ivan breziansky -
Hi Mary,

> As a student logged in you cannot see the topic section AND have the rights to edit the front page.

Yes, i need to remove the button from user login, so they cant edit the page (add blocks, etc..), but i need as a admin to be able to add block for students.
-----------

>As a student I can see the blocks so I don't think that is a problem
If you want students to be able to see site news you have to set the default front page role to "student" - you have it set to "none" which is correct most of the time.

I tried that, but under student login all i can see are the courses and when i turn the edit ON, the middle section- to ad activities, resources is not showing, only the side blocks are.
------------

>You do not have any students assigned globally.

How do i assign any student globally..? What does it mean..?
------------

>Your default role for the site is authenticated user.

Yes, is that a problem..? and what does it effect..?
-----------

>You do not have any front page roles set and yet the student account still gets the editing button - but cannot see the topic section (which is enabled in front page settings) There are no eyes shut in the topic section.

The front page is set to "none", even when i changed it to "student", no site news under student login.
-----------

>I can't immediately see that you have altered any permissions -have you altered any permissions in the actual student role?

I havent altered student permission in the role.
----------

One more question.. why as admin, when i turn the editing ON, i can see more blocks to add then a user..? For exam. "chat".. as admin i san see it, but as user its not listed...

Please let me know when youre around and ill send you even the student login for you to see what it looks like..

Thank you.

by Mary Cooch -
Thanks Ivan - but I already managed to log in as a student as I went to the site admin and found the student and logged in that way (this is a privilege you have as site admin)
You had "MyMoodle " switched on (in appearance) This is a customised page for each user that lets them add certain blocks -but not all blocks , as students do not have th same rights as admin or teachers. That is the way it should be. I turned off "MyMoodle" by taking the tick out of it and now the students do not have an editing block on.
I also went back and tried the topic section again - and it IS visible to the student now.
I think your Moodle is working correctly for your student user now- let me know if you agreesmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ivan breziansky -
Hi,

its perfect now..

one more question.. when i add a block as admin, where is it set who will see (can use) that block..? if its gonna be on welcome page, under user login (can use it) or only for admin login..?

Thank you..

by Mary Cooch -
Everyone should be able to see that block unless you state otherwise.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ivan breziansky -
Hi,

yeah.. i got it now.. smile

users... how can i create different groups of users..? all students, but in separate groups.. for exam..: financial group, IT group.. so i can assign specific courses for specific groups..

Thank you.

by Mary Cooch -
Gosh Ivan - you ask big questionssmile
There are several ways to do what you want - the simplest way is to make a course for each group and then create your users manually and assign them the role of student to each course in the course admin block.
Or you can make the course and then upload all your users for that course with a csv file that says which course to put them in - you need to check out the Moodle docs wiki for how to do flat file upload.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ivan breziansky -
Yeah.. i know.. smile

Its like a never-ending story with me... Alice in wonderland.. smile

i guess there is a space for user management in Moodle then.. it would be easier to manage the groups instead of having 100 users, who are assigned to different courses.. what do you think..? over the weekend ill ave a look at the csv upload.. it looks like its better when i have 100 users to add to moodle..
Anyway..

Enjoy the weekend Mary.. smile