Thinking of moving from WebCT/Blackboard to Moodle

Thinking of moving from WebCT/Blackboard to Moodle

by Fiona Veira-McTiernan -
Number of replies: 15

Dear Moodle Community,

I work for the Institute of Cancer Research www.icr.ac.uk . We run a smallish MSc Course (150 students) in Oncology, currently served via WebCT/Blackboard. My boss has asked me to do some initial research into the technical, financial and timescale feasibility of moving to Moodle.

I wonder if anybody in the community has done the same at their educational centre, and whether they could give me some information on how it went, problems encountered, timescales, etc.

Unfortunately I do not have an ICT background, which makes it a bit harder to understand technical issues, problems, etc.

Any help, advice or guidance will be treasured!

Warm regards, Fiona Veira-McTiernan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fiona Veira-McTiernan

Re: Thinking of moving from WebCT/Blackboard to Moodle

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Fiona,

I suggest you take a look at a recent report from the University of North Carolina describing the results of an evaluative comparison of Moodle with the University’s current Blackboard system - http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=19&rid=2531.

You can probably find a few more Moodle/Blackboard comparisons in our Moodle Buzz database.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tony Bleything -
Hello Helen,
I too am interested in switching to using moodle from Blackboard. I have no IT experience. We have at most 100 students and 4 faculty using the Blackboard at one time.
I don't know how to do the following:
- Determine what hardware/software requirements would be
- install moodle in order run it and/or 'test drive' it

Any suggestions?
In reply to Tony Bleything

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Tony,

If you just want to have a play with Moodle, I suggest you visit our demonstration site demo.moodle.org.

The documentation Installing Moodle lists the hardware and software requirements.

If you want to try installing Moodle yourself, you may like to try one of our all-in-one packages - Moodle for Mac OS X or Moodle for Windows.
In reply to Tony Bleything

by Damien McHugh -
Hi Tony,

If you are looking to 'test drive' moodle I would suggest that you give this a try.

http://www.keytoschool.org

After a quick signing up process up you will have your moodle 'test drive' site up and running and hosted for free.

Damien

In reply to Helen Foster

Thanks for this information Helen. I'll have a good read.

warm regards, Fiona

In reply to Helen Foster

Dear Helen,

You kindly replied to my original post, and i wonder whether I can ask you more questions...!? Thank you in advance for your time and patience.

I have done a bit of research on this potential migration from Bb to Moodle for our organisation, and it's all quite exciting. I need to present a balance view of the migration to the Secretary though, so i wanted to ask about the some issues on WebCt/Bb, and whether they are better in Moodle. If you (or anybody else reading this) can shed some light on them, i'd be very grateful.

1) We are heavily understaffed, and the course administrator hates WebCT. I can't help wondering though if the problem is not so much WebCT per se, but that she doesn't have enough training or access to (quick-response) technical support. My concern is that if we were to move to Moodle, she would still need training, and still have to wait for a reply from Moodle support (from, for example, a Moodle web host).

I wonder whether those that move to Moodle have, by default, more access to in-house technical expertise, rather than Moodle being more user-friendly per se.

The question here is, would you say that Moodle IS more user-friendly for an administrator? And indeed for students...? Our students apparently do not use WebCT very much, though we don't know whether that is because they don't like it or because they are very busy (they are full time doctors 4 days a week, just 1 day at the course). We uploaded a survey of their usage of WebCT to find out, but they haven't done it (!!).

2) Specific WebCT problems the administrator mentioned are:

- poor navigation (can't always use the back and forward arrows)

- cumbersome to use (too many steps or clicks to get things done) and not enough automation of tasks (again, this might be a reflection on her lack of training)

- assignments uploaded via WebCT by students went missing, though we couldn't figure out whether the problem was with WebCT or the student. Because of that, they have reverted to emailing their work, which defeats the purpose of having a VLE!!

- no spell check

Generally, is this functionality better in Moodle...?

3) Migration of content. This worries everyone, and might be the trip up factor if it takes too long, as we don't have the manhours to do it manually.

4) Is the rate of innovation in Moodle comparable to that of WebCT? This might not be an issue for us, as we are so small (150 students), but in case they ask me at the presentation, I had a look on the Blackboard website, and extracted this list of new functionality from their press releases. I understand some of it might not even work that well, or be that useful at this stage, but just to get an idea, does Moodle cover similar functionality?

• Lecture Capture Technology to Blackboard Learn Platform
  • Enhanced Student Identity Verification
  • iTunes U Integration for Blackboard Learn
  • Integration with NBC News Archives & Digital Content
  • Support for e-Readers
  • iPhone & Mobile Web Platform to Product Suite
  • Mass notification and alert program
  • Instant Messaging Within Blackboard Learn(TM)
  • National Partners and Participating Campuses for Student Payment Solution

http://www.blackboard.com/Company/Media-Center/Press-Releases.aspx

I think Moodle is very exciting and I am keen to highlight its benefits, but i just want to make sure that we clarify what the problem really is: the technology or the lack of training/resources. Any guidance or suggestions on any of the above will be very useful.

Many thanks once more, and warmest regards, Fiona Veira-McTiernan

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
it really depends on the version of WebCT/Blackboard that you have as to how easy it is to migrate to Moodle!

make sure you check out this page for details on the migration process:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Blackboard_migration

Also regarding training/support - you've obviously found the Moodle forums here and the various documentation available via this site! You can also get "commercial support" - from Moodle Partners all over the world! - check out the list here for your local Moodle Partner http://moodle.com/partners/list/

good luck!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Helen Foster -
Hi Fiona,

As I've never used WebCT/Blackboard, I'm not in the position to compare it with Moodle, however this presentation may be of help to you:
http://jsweetin.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/bbtomoodle_ncccs.pdf

Regarding assignments in Moodle, I've never heard of any going missing. On the contrary, I know of lots of teachers who are delighted with the assignments in Moodle, as it clearly states when students submit their work and avoids the situation where students claim they sent work via email but the "email must have got lost or something...".

I can confirm that spell-checking functionality and instant messaging are included in Moodle. Sorry I can't comment on other items in your list.

As Dan mentions, in addition to the free support provided by the worldwide Moodle community, you can also pay for support. Moodle Partners offer a range of commercial services including support in migrating content from other course management systems.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Fiona. I don't have experience of WebCT/Blackboard but I do know people using other commercial LMS/VLE types and one of the things that comes across very often is that support, even though it is paid for, is often much poorer than what you get with Moodle -because (alongside the commercial Moodle Partner support) you can get free support on these forums virtually 24/7, whereas you are unlikely to get similar consultation, for free, out of hours, elsewhere. And as another - totally subjective, I'm sorry! - point - my daughter's a student at the London School of Economics where they migrated from WebCT to Moodle and she reckons Moodle's much friendlier to students smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

hello mary! yes, definitely, over here they have mentioned that the basic support they get from blackboard is slow and unhelpful often, which is an issue for them. and my experience so far with the moodle community has been outstandingly good!

i reckon that even if they decide to not go for moodle this year, we should install in a server in the library and learn to use it, so next year there reallyis no excuse! but i hope they decide to go for it.

thanks again, fiona

In reply to Helen Foster

Thank you Helen! I'll have a look at the resources you suggested. Today we got a quick demo of Moodle used at a hospital, for some of their courses, and it looked great!

I have probably got enough information to make a case for Moodle, i'll pass it on higher up and see what they decide. Thank you to the Moodle Community for all your help and advice.

warm regards, Fiona

by Omar Parks -
Hello Fiona,

With a class size of 150 students, you should be able to use Moodle without encountering any major issues. I do believe that Moodle has a feature that will allow you to import courses and material from Blackboard/WebCT so there's no need to rebuild classes.

Moodle is free so you will only incur an expense of paying your host for web space which in the States, I believe I pay $7.95/mo.

Depending on the type of host that will you'll utilize to house your Moodle course(s), you may only need to do minimal work to set everything up. I use a service that has Fantastico De Lux which literally uploads the scripts for Moodle in less than five minutes. So it is possible that you could have your Moodle platform up and running quickly without devoting an excessive amount of time.

I am by no means a technical "guru" but I've not had any problems with my Moodle site since setting it up.

I hope my information was of some help.

Omar
In reply to Omar Parks

Thank you also Omar, for your help and information. I'll make a note of Fantastico De Lux, too.

Warm regards, fiona

by Derek Chirnside -
You may be interested in the Google group http://groups.google.com/group/cms-options?hl=en Mainly Bb potential refugees. Some interesting posts.
For some random an uncurated links see our site http://akowiki.canterbury.ac.nz/index.php/LMS_comparisons It does include a link to our intial comparisons work from a year ago which helped inform our decison to move to Moodle.

Good luck Fiona.
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Thanks Derek, i'll check out that group.... "Bb potential refugees"? ;o)

The LMS comparison info seems to be the kind of thing my boss is after, i'll pass it on.

Thanks again!!!!

fiona