account setup

account setup

by ivan breziansky -
Number of replies: 8
Hi,

what option should i choose to setup the user as a guest or a student in moodle..? Whn i create the account, i dont see what level of acces should be set in a drop-down menu- admin, teacher.

Thank you.
Attachment account.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to ivan breziansky

Re: account setup

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You don't. You just make them an account and then decide within each course which role they should have. Usually you will assign them the role of student in the courses they will be working in (you do this by going into the course admin block and clicking assign roles) But Moodle has made it so that you could also give them teacher rights in a different course, if you so wished. And your teachers in other subjects, if they enrolled into a different subject course to have a look around - they would be automatically students. So it isn't something you need to worry about when you are making the account.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ivan breziansky -
Thank you Mary for our explanation. So when i create a user, what role does he have in a moodle environment ..?

Id like to ask one more question regarding the user access rights. how do i disable the edit button for users which appears in a right upper corner..? I dont want anyone except admin to have that buttom available. Where is the seting i should adjust.

Thank you.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Users are "authenticated users" which doesn't mean much really - they can access the courses but not edit anything- pretty much a student I suppose. A user you have made will not get the edit button at all; only those you give the role of teacher to (or admin) so it won't be a problem.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ivan breziansky -
thats really strange i guess, coz when i create user and loin to moodle, i get the edit button. i have assign the newly created user a student role, and still get the edit button. Hmm.. where is the setting for this specific item..?

by Mary Cooch -
Where have you assigned the user the role of student? If you do it in users>permissions>assign system roles then the student will be able to edit the front page. Do not assign them the role of student that way. Make a course and add them into the course admin block of that course. Also, if you check site admin>front page>front page roles and make sure your default front page role is none (not student or teacher). These are possible reasons why your student can see the front page editing button.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ivan breziansky -
I created a brand new user, didnt add him anywhere. In front page roles under "Users" i have all "0". When i login as him, i can see the button. Weird...

by Mary Cooch -
In site administration>users>user policies make sure that you have the default role for all users as "authenticated user" and, again check in front page>front page settings that the default front page role (scroll down to the bottom of that screen) is set to "none".
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ivan breziansky -
weird.. i checked and both were by default set as they should- "authenticated user" and "none". Sending screenshots what it looks like now...