Quizport/Findit/IE6

Quizport/Findit/IE6

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 15
Hi Gordon

My Findit exercises are not working properly in Internet Explorer 6. I think this might be another case of a Quizport update knocking something askew. I did check all these exercises in IE6 when I first made the Quizport, and they worked.

The hand/option to select, only comes up when the mouse is passed over the correct words. The quizzes work in IE8 and Firefox 5.

Please see example:

http://ddenglish.edumoot.com/mod/quizport/view.php?tab=preview&unumber=-1&quizid=1015&qnumber=-1&columnlistid=conditions&columnlisttype=quiz&sesskey=TIg4Q6EEiP

Hope it's something simple.

Thanks in advance.

Deborah
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Quizport/Findit/IE6

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Same problem in IE too sad
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,
the javascript to detect IE7 and earlier had become broken. Sorry about that blush

It is fixed now and the modified scripts are available in the latest version of the QuizPort zip file

thanks for reporting this issue approve
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon

I hope you had a good holiday?

At the beginning of this month you fixed a problem in Findit. But I think a subsequent update must have knocked out the fix. sad In IE6 only the correct words are clickable. It was working in IE6 after you fixed it but I updated Quizport in mid-August and now notice that the problem has recurred.

Please see example on my site:

http://ddenglish.edumoot.com/mod/quizport/view.php?tab=preview&unumber=-1&quizid=2165&qnumber=-1&columnlistid=conditions&columnlisttype=quiz&sesskey=4BlXyV760O

It seems to be fine in IE7 and Firefox 3.

Sorry to bombard you on your return.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
hi Deborah,
thanks for asking - I had a lovely few days off cool

Regarding the IE6 + FindIt issue, I cleared the QuizPort cache for your Moodle site, Site administration -> Modules -> Activities -> QuizPort -> Enable QuizPort cache -> Clear QuizPort cache, and I think it has fixed the problem.

When you have a moment, please confirm IE6 + FindIt is working again for you.

thanks
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Deborah,

I realized why the cache had not been cleared automatically for you during an earlier QuizPort upgrade. I fixed the problem and increased the QuizPort version number so others will have the same problem you had.

There is no need for you to upgrade again right away, because this problem is already fixed on your site.

cheers
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

I'm having a "problems" morning!

My Findit exercises were defnitely displaying fine in Quizport and IE6.  Now the text is coming out very small.  I am wondering if an update of Quizport might have knocked things askew?

I have cleared my Quizport cache - to no avail.  I have posted a quiz on your site entitled "Findit/IE6 Problem".  Also on your site the text is displaying small.  It's fine in other browsers - just IE6evil is causing the problem.

Look forward to your advice.

Thank you.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
> I am wondering if an update of Quizport might have knocked things askew?

Maybe, but I don't think your website has been updated for a while.

> I have posted a quiz on your site entitled "Findit/IE6 Problem".

thanks. I'll take a look.
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
This seems to be a symptom of putting the quiz into an separate frame so that it does not use the Moodle theme any more. When I switched the navigation back to "Moodle navigation bar", the letters came out big again.

If see you put some special styles into the FindIt html files to fix font sizes. you might like to try adding IE6 only styles to the html file using conditional comments:
  • <!--[if IE 6]>
    <style type="text/css">
    span.GapSpan {font-size: 140%;}
    </style>
    <![endif]-->
HTH
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

Yes, I see now - it is the navigation causing the small letter problem.  I used the Moodle Navigation Frame because the right container was being shunted down the page using the other navigation methods.  But I am certain that yesterday these quizzes displayed fine in the Moodle Navigation Frame.....thoughtful

Thank you for the code.  It did indeed make the letters bigger but it made the letters for the correct answers even bigger, which is a bit of a giveaway. 

Yes, I am 3 Quizport versions out of date, but I don't think I have checked these quizzes since my last update.  These quizzes definitely displayed fine at one time, so I am wondering if something changed in Quizport which might have affected the display... maybe it will sort itself out next time I update. 

Thanks as always for your help.

Deborah

by Deborah Delin -

HI Gordon,

Could you possibly help me out?

I have decided that my best option to get my two-container findit exercises to display in IE, without shunting the right container down the page, is to set the navigation to none and insert the special conditions you suggested for IE6 into the html files to make the text in the right container bigger.

But I have been fiddling with the code for ages now and still can only get the actual correct answers (the gap answers) to display larger.

In the HP6 file I had previously adjusted the font to 120% in the following places to achieve the display I wanted in other browsers:

div,td{
font-size: 120%;
color: [strTextColor];
}

select{
font-size: 120%;
}

You suggested using:

<!-- [ if IE 6 ] >
<style type= "text/ css " >
span.GapSpan { font-size: 140 %; }
</style>
<! [ endif ] -->

Which I put in the jcloze6_HT file (is that right?).  This increases the size of the gap text only in IE6.

I tried:

<!--[if IE 6]><style type="text/css">

span.GapSpan {font-size: 140%;}

div,td{font-size: 140%;}

select{font-size: 140%;}

</style>

<![endif]-->

and various different combinatins of above, but none work.

Please could you give me a clue?

Thanks so much.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,

> Could you possibly help me out?

I'll certainly try. To play with IE6 properly I need to be seated in front of a particular machine at work, so I will investigate on Monday.

regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,
if we use absolute font sizes instead of percentages, which are relative, then you can get a consistent result in IE6.

• <!--[if IE 6]><style type="text/css">
    span.GapSpan{
    font-size:24px;
    }
    </style><![endif]-->

I have modified QuizPort to insert the above code automatically into FindIt quizzes. In the meantime, you can add it to your html files yourself. As long as you use the same font-size, 24px, there won't be a conflict with the QuizPort code when QuizPort is updated on your site.

regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Yes that works beautifully!  You're a star!  Thank you so much!!

Deborah

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon, welcome back!

Yes it's working fine now. Thank you so much. I had never even looked at that menu so thank you for pointing it out to me.

Thanks again.

Deborah